California-Southern

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Fuzzbutt, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Hi LauraDel! I'm a new chicken Mom too! I just got four 7 week old Barred Rock pullets on 12/22/2012 from a gal in Tustin from CraigsList. You are asking all the same questions I needed to know the answers to as well...the home forums page here has many topics on basic supplies, care, feeding and housing of chicks and chickens. Start-up requires lots of research for basic care and needs, but maintaining them as pets/layers is relatively easy! First, check with your City Hall if you are allowed to keep chickens and how many.

I bought mine essentially ready to go outside to the prefab coop with attached run that I bought on Amazon for about $200. Most chicks need to be inside in a brooder with a heat lamp until about 8 weeks old or when they have fully feathered out (soft downy chick feathers have been replaced by adult feathers). Baby chicks, anywhere from 2-6 weeks old, are about $3 each at most feed stores. A 40lb. bag of grower pellets is about $18, mine eat about 1/2 cup per chicken per day...will last a few months. They can walk around your yard ("free range") if protected from dogs, coons, hawks, coyotes, etc. but need an enclosed coop to feel safe and cozy at night to sleep/lay. There will be POOP on the lawn and your kids bare feet, but it's great fertilizer for gardens and flowers! They will also eat certain flowers, veg, grass in the yard but can also be fed table scraps and kitchen trimmings (see the table of safe foods as some are toxic such as avocado and raw potato peels). They need fresh water daily.

Difference breeds have different traits as far as size, large eggs, frequent layers, quiet, friendly, etc. I settled on Barred Rocks for quiet, friendly frequent brown egg layers. The breed tab has good info. for each breed. I'll add Wyandottes and Buff Orpingtons in the future for variety but similar traits.

I am really enjoying my girls and they are growing very rapidly, will start laying eggs for me at about 18 weeks old. They are funny to watch! I haven't let mine out of the coop/run yet...waiting until they are a little bigger, and we also have three cats and two very curious dogs who need to become bored enough with their presence to leave them alone. My coop is about 4'x4' and the attached run is about 8 ft. X 4 ft. They will need room to roam the yard when they are full grown.

So it's a cool environmental loop...You give me poop to grow veg, I give you scraps and food, you return the favor with fresh eggs! Not to mention they are sweet and entertaining pets for kids and adults alike. They won't be smelly if kept clean with a minimal time commitment and proper bedding which becomes rich garden mulch.

This is only some basic information to get you started. Good luck and have fun!
    Margie

1 person likes this.
  2. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Overrun With Chickens

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA

X's 2 Well said mousecheese :)

3. SophieL

SophieL Out Of The Brooder

Hi all. I cannot, for the life of me, find scratch or cracked corn in sizes less than 25 lbs. I could use about 10 lbs or so but I only have a few chickens and they just don't get that many treats.

Anyone know where I can find 10 lb bags of either scratch or cracked corn?

thanks!

4. froggiesheins

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA

You can purchase cracked corn by the pound at Generation West at 2951 Durfee Ave. El Monte. 626/454-2375 Approx. 60 / 605 freeways. Closest that I know of..

5. rosegal

rosegal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2008
    Tustin, CA
    You are welcome to come over to my place and see all my girls. I can give you as much education about chickens as you would like to receive. PM me if you are interested.

6. aguilera

aguilera Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2012
    La Puente, California
    This is a good place. they have 3types of scratch food. one is like $11, then $14, and $16 or so for 50lbs. they can sell you 10lbs if you want, but i'd say is beter to just buy the 50 lb bags.
    froggiesheins, do you know of a good vet that is also cheap? My new turkey got sick and has stopped eating food.

7. Kruse Feed on Lambert Rd. in La Habra. Their Website too. They have 2 lb bags of scratch and cracked corn. I just bought a 3 lb bag of cracked corn in Petco in the bird food aisle too!

8. froggiesheins

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA

Good vet yes, Cheep..No.....have you posted in the Emergencies section at all?
    Now, its possible there is a Hispanic Avian vet round these parts, but because I do not speak Spanish I am out of the loop somewhat on that kinda stuff. :( When I see my horse buddies tomorrow I will ask around. Also VIviano [at Generation West] is VERY knowlegable on chickens, maybe turkeys too?] Worth the phone call.

What are turkeys' symptoms?
    How old is he/she?
    When did this start?
    How long have you had him/her?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  9. SophieL

SophieL Out Of The Brooder

Thanks all!

10. aguilera

aguilera Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2012
    La Puente, California
    I've been talk with other BYC in a turkey link and they have been very helpful. Hopefully it's just a matter of getting what ever is wrong with him out of his system. Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by