California-Southern

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Fuzzbutt, Jan 19, 2007.

1. kian

kian Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancaster, CA
    Hi Karissa! Welcome to BYC! Lots of ventilation, windows you can keep open at night ( ie: they have some sort of screening over them) and shade for when they're outdoors should do the trick!

1 person likes this.
  2. SixHix

SixHix Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2012
    Southern California
    Congrats Karissa and Cliff!
    We are just over the mountain in Hemet. We recommend access to plenty of shade. In the summer there were a couple if days it was so hot we just took the hose and got most of our flock a little wet and made big puddles for them.

3. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Overrun With Chickens

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA

:welcome from Froggies Roost in Hacienda Heights!

Lots of shade. You can use misters to help cool them...frozen 2 liter soda bottles to "cuddle" weith. fans or a swamp cooler. Ice in their water or if you can spring for the $$$$$ an A/C unit in their coop. :)

4. kfritz3

kfritz3 New Egg

Dec 23, 2012
    a
    We have a wall unit ac spare for summers. We were planning on making the coop 2 walls just of hardware cloth and wood frames then the other two ply wood. Would it be better to close it off in summer and run the air for them or would I need ventilation still ?

5. kfritz3

kfritz3 New Egg

Dec 23, 2012
    Any one know of a good feed store in coachella valley, Palm Springs or even riverside area. The feed store by me has barely anything!!! One tiny bag of de costs 34.99!!! Not to mention zero straw or hay....

6. froggiesheins

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA

In all honesty, if you can afford the extra $$$ for the A/C go for it. You will get piece of mind with it.
    I would make "storm windows/doors" for the walls so that you can open up for the cooler weather or close the walls/ windows for A/C use. You only have to cool things down to like 85 degrees.

IF this info makes no sense please let me know and I can go into more detail. :)

7. froggiesheins

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA

There is one BYCer that lives in Banning.....I will ask him where he goes......his avatar name is pongo if you want to PM him directly.

Just got the word from the man: Cherry Valley Feeds is where he goes for his chicken supplies. Hope that helps...:)

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  8. hemet dennis

hemet dennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Here's a list of feed stores near you

List ViewMap View
    Filters

Desert Feed Bag
    83558 Avenue 45 Ste 1, Indio, CA 92201 » Map (760) 342-6602
    4.0 stars
    6 Ratings, 1 Review
    What:
    Jackson Hole Horse
    50950 Madison St, Indio, CA 92201 » Map (760) 342-2212

Be the first to review
    What:
    Twj Incentives
    55608 Oaktree, La Quinta, CA 92253 » Map (760) 564-0049
    5.8 miles

Be the first to review
    What:
    Hacienda Feed & Supply
    72806 Ramon Rd, Thousand Palms, CA 92276 » Map (760) 343-3355
    12 miles
    5.0 stars
    2 Ratings, Write a Review
    What:
    The Feed Lot
    85980 Grapefruit Blvd, Coachella, CA 92236 » Map (760) 398-6510
    3.7 miles
    1.0 stars
    2 Ratings, Write a Review
    What:
    Mark Draper Enterprises
    86075 60th Ave, Thermal, CA 92274 » Map (760) 399-8600
    8.1 miles

Be the first to review
    What:
    Wild Mustang Feed & Cnsgnmnt
    49964 29 Palms Hwy, Morongo Valley, CA 92256 » Map (760) 363-6633
    30.6 miles
    3.5 stars
    3 Ratings, Write a Review
    What:
    Outlaws of Hay & Grain
    56595 US Highway 371, Anza, CA 92539 » Map (951) 763-1805
    28.3 miles
    1.0 stars
    1 Rating, Write a Review
    What:
    Cowboy Corral
    56560 29 Palms Hwy, Yucca Valley, CA 92284 » Map (760) 365-7582
    30.2 miles
    4.5 stars
    5 Ratings, 1 Review
    What:
    Pioneer Feed & Livestock
    62485 29 Palms Hwy, Joshua Tree, CA 92252 » Map (760) 366-8451
    28.8 miles
    2.5 stars
    4 Ratings, 1 Review
    What:
    Mary's Tack & Feed
    Serving the Indio Area. (800) 551-6279
    2.5 stars
    29 Ratings, Write a Review
    What:

And [​IMG] from Hemet

9. mbfarms

mbfarms Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2012
    High Desert, SoCal
    Hi Karissa. I live in the Antelope Valley high desert where it is much colder I think than PS in the winter, but we do have very hot days in the summer. But the issue for us is the broiling sun, like it will be for you, I bet. But also wind. Do consider the direction of the wind if you have it. My girls and roo hate the wind so I try to block it as much as I can.

I built my coop with total shade cover (corrugated poly panels from lowe's) and protection from the prevailing winds using walls on the west and southwest sides. In the summer I add a solid wall on the east side to protect from sun, but I take it down in winter to give plenty of daylight sun for warmth.

I do have a two coops attached to the run and I find that they use them, even on the hottest nights of summer. Even tho they have outside roost space that is predator proof, they like to be inside the coop to sleep. I don't think my hens and roo would be very happy in a fully enclosed coop, even with ac. They like to be outside in the run from the first moment of sun-up to the last sliver of light at sun-down, regardless of season or temperature.

This has been a evolution as I've seen things that needed doing (adding a wall on the east for sun protection, adding another coop, etc) and I think the best plan always is to plan for flexibility. If something isn't working you can change it.

One more thing: On the hottest days, I make sure to let my chickens free range as much as possible and they find cool spots to dig in under trees and bushes for cooling. But I don't provide any additional cooling. They really don't seem unhappy and lay well throughout the summer.

I hope that helps. You can see pics if you are interested. I have them posted on my page.

10. You are so right, Froggie...I ended up bringing four home!! I got them from a gal in Orange, Craig's List. The pullets were obvious in person, based on all the helpful hints I got here. Then again, it's not an exact science. I'll post some pics soon and take a "guess the sex" poll that seem so popular on the breed threads!!
    They have some nice Wyandotte and Americuana chicks at Kruse Feed in La Habra, but were a little young for me. My girlies are fully feathered and outside. Settling in just grand!! But I am already planning to add some variety soon...four barred Rocks will be confusing... :p

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by