California-Southern

Me too!

We just got back from a trip to find a place in Texas! The politics alone in the state are enough to drive you crazy!!!

Little Wing, I'll see you in Austin in about 15 years when we retire! I like/ earned my pension and don't want the state of California taxing me on it again when I start to draw on it as income. Gonna have a nice little ranch with my chucks and horses, bear arms and vote with like-minded folks! Kinda hard to do behind the Orange Curtain in sunny So. Cal. I'm gonna be TEXAS CHIC in my boots and rhinestones! God Bless America!
big_smile.png

Well let me know where that is so I can start looking now before the 3% of like minded CA refugees get a jump on us!

Ahhh, you're all SO my people!

SixHix, you are so right. This state is being destroyed by the politics but I'll leave it at that.

SoCal Dorkings, count me in as one of those 3%! My husband and I have been talking about leaving CA for a year or so and TX is looking better all the time. I anticipate we will in the next five years or so. Did you hear the rumblings about an "exit tax" for those of us bail on this failed state?

MouseCheese, we have the same plan esp. with regard to "bear arms." Howzabout the "gun insurance" they are going to try to force on us??

Ahhh, you're all SO my people!

SixHix, you are so right. This state is being destroyed by the politics but I'll leave it at that.

SoCal Dorkings, count me in as one of those 3%! My husband and I have been talking about leaving CA for a year or so and TX is looking better all the time. I anticipate we will in the next five years or so. Did you hear the rumblings about an "exit tax" for those of us bail on this failed state?

MouseCheese, we have the same plan esp. with regard to "bear arms." Howzabout the "gun insurance" they are going to try to force on us??

I was born and raised in this state, but the older I get, the more I long for common sense and common decency. Both of which seem to be in short supply around here these days. In my neck of the woods, they have even been trying to devise an "ordinance" to supersede my existing zoning, and limit me to 1-3 Roosters, and making me pay for an Animal Facility License.

I raise Dorking Chickens, which I chose because they are a Heritage breed on the ALBC's Threatened list, down only one place from Critical. The idea that someone who doesn't know their game cock from their Dorking, or a Silkie from a Serama being able to make rules that effectively changes the zoning to my home which I purchased in the middle of freekin nowhere on purpose so no one would bother me, is in my opinion a travesty.

A little cut/paste from a letter from Marcia Mayeda to the L.A. County Board of Supervisors:

PURPOSE/JUSTIFICATION FOR RECOMMENDED ACTION
Cockfighting, although illegal, occurs in the County of Los Angeles (County) and a large number of roosters are bred, raised, or kept within the County for this illegal blood sport. Additionally, many crimes such as drugs, weapons, gambling, and child endangerment are often discovered at illegal cockfighting properties. Cockfighting events promote illegal gambling operations and attract other criminal and gang activities into residential communities, endangering law-abiding residents who are often fearful to report cockfighting for fear of retaliation. The investigation and prosecution of illegal cockfighting activities requires significant County resources from departments including, but not limited to, Animal Care and Control, Sheriff’s, District Attorney, Probation, and Children and Family Services.

The noise, odors, health, and sanitation issues resulting from the keeping of multiple roosters create serious public nuisances that disturb the comfort and peaceful enjoyment of residents and negatively impact property values and the quality of life in many communities. Maintaining, transporting, or importing uninspected birds for the purpose of illegal fighting can also cause the spread of deadly avian diseases, including Avian Flu and Exotic Newcastle Disease, to birds and poultry within the County.
By limiting the number of roosters on any one property, the County seeks to balance the desires of individuals to keep roosters with the rights of their neighbors to live in safe, peaceful, and tranquil neighborhoods.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Everyone...I am BRAND-New here to BYC. I have no chickens yet but am eagerly awaiting my hatching eggs coming week of Feb. 25. I will be getting my coop in a few weeks, I live in the city of Covina. Even though I have no chickens, I feel like I have chicken on the brain! I have been reading, researching, watching videos, printing out info, you name it...on how to keep backyard chickens. This weekend I am clearing out 'brush' in my yard to make space for my chicken coop & run. I spent hours everyday reading posts on these forums - wow - so much information!!

I was born and raised in this state, but the older I get, the more I long for common sense and common decency. Both of which seem to be in short supply around here these days. In my neck of the woods, they have even been trying to devise an "ordinance" to supersede my existing zoning, and limit me to 1-3 Roosters, and making me pay for an Animal Facility License.

I raise Dorking Chickens, which I chose because they are a Heritage breed on the ALBC's Threatened list, down only one place from Critical. The idea that someone who doesn't know their game cock from their Dorking, or a Silkie from a Serama being able to make rules that effectively changes the zoning to my home which I purchased in the middle of freekin nowhere on purpose so no one would bother me, is in my opinion a travesty.

A little cut/paste from a letter from Marcia Mayeda to the L.A. County Board of Supervisors:

PURPOSE/JUSTIFICATION FOR RECOMMENDED ACTION
Cockfighting, although illegal, occurs in the County of Los Angeles (County) and a large number of roosters are bred, raised, or kept within the County for this illegal blood sport. Additionally, many crimes such as drugs, weapons, gambling, and child endangerment are often discovered at illegal cockfighting properties. Cockfighting events promote illegal gambling operations and attract other criminal and gang activities into residential communities, endangering law-abiding residents who are often fearful to report cockfighting for fear of retaliation. The investigation and prosecution of illegal cockfighting activities requires significant County resources from departments including, but not limited to, Animal Care and Control, Sheriff’s, District Attorney, Probation, and Children and Family Services.

The noise, odors, health, and sanitation issues resulting from the keeping of multiple roosters create serious public nuisances that disturb the comfort and peaceful enjoyment of residents and negatively impact property values and the quality of life in many communities. Maintaining, transporting, or importing uninspected birds for the purpose of illegal fighting can also cause the spread of deadly avian diseases, including Avian Flu and Exotic Newcastle Disease, to birds and poultry within the County.
By limiting the number of roosters on any one property, the County seeks to balance the desires of individuals to keep roosters with the rights of their neighbors to live in safe, peaceful, and tranquil neighborhoods.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good grief. Things like this drive me absolutely crazy. I'll keep my fingers crossed that "they" don't get their way. I think all of this stuff is just motivated by money. They don't care about cock fighting, they just want to be able to force you to pay for the license so they make up some tragedy.

And I know what you mean about common sense and common decency. Things are so different outside of SoCal. I went to Wisconsin a couple of years ago and a complete stranger at a rural restaurant bought me potato salad because "it is the best you'll ever have!, You have to try it!" I was born and raised in SoCal and love it for the beauty and those few folks that are really cool (like our peeps in this thread!!!) so it pains me to leave, but it's just getting too ridiculous.

Back
Top Bottom