California-Southern

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Fuzzbutt, Jan 19, 2007.

1. SoCal Dorkings

SoCal Dorkings Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2011
    Southern California
    The only Silkie breeder I know of off hand is Amber Waves in Norco...

2. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

3. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Overrun With Chickens

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    OHH you are such a tease.....DROOL!! :drool!! Sweater? Man I love a good looking AGF roo! I know most peeps reading this will be scratching their heads>>> sweater???? hee hee It will be our secret...:oops:..

4. chickety china

chickety china Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2013
    Hi, I am very new here...I'm waiting for my first chicks (6) to arrive in April. I am trying to get prepared and learn as much before their arrival. One thing that keeps me concerned are the intolerable summer temperatures. I live in the San Fernando Valley, where we can have long-lasting temps in the triple digits... any tips for literally surviving the heat or things I should consider at this planning stage? I'm building my coop and run under a tree and providing cover (roof) to my run.

5. feeding frenzy

feeding frenzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2012
    Hi chickety china. I live in SFV too. I got my chicks last year in September when it was still very hot. My chicks survived the heat. Just provide shade, which you have, and plenty of water for them.

6. froggiesheins

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA

WELL FIRST OF ALL :welcome:
    I live in the San Gabriel Valley and while we do not quite as many 100+ days it still gets toasty. I have a commercial fan that I put in the run for the "kids" also; frozen 2liter bottles of water for them to sit next to, ice in their drinking water, shade cloth, things like that. At least you have a tree, I don't have that....IF someone really looks stressed, I will bring them in the A/C inside to take a break from the heat.
    What kind of chicks are you getting?? :yesss:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  7. hemet dennis

hemet dennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  8. froggiesheins

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA

OH GEEZ Dennis, I am laughing SO hard right now.....I do think you are right tho...about the brain frying that is....my birdies do not ROUGH IT...they are spoiled beyond comprehension.... LOL

9. ellandeeranch

ellandeeranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    I used misters last year in the summer, and the girls spent all day next to them in August. We're up near Gorman/Quail Lake, and it gets crazy hot here.

10. froggiesheins

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA

YUP Dats a hot place alright... hope yer brain hasn't gotten fried like poor Hemet Dennis.. :lau.:lau.:lau

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by