California-Southern

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Fuzzbutt, Jan 19, 2007.

1. SophieL

SophieL In the Brooder

First off, [​IMG]!

Second, I'm also in the SFV and last year I used misters and frozen soda bottles full of water for them to cuddle up to and they all did beautifully. I have EEs and GCs. Feel free to email me if you have any other questions. Also, you should definitely join the L.A. Urban Chicken Enthusiasts meetup. We have some great events!

2. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

I grew up in the bush in Australia. I love my chooks but if they relied on me to give them daily cooling measures, they would be fried.

If it was me, I would just get chickens that do well in heat.

Avoid Brahmas, Cochins, Javas and other over feathered varieties. Give them water and shade. They will do fine.

3. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Crowing

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA

Well said and logical, but when yer dealing with us peeps that turn our birds into children,,well............we get wierd...hee hee

4. chickety china

chickety china In the Brooder

Feb 4, 2013
    Thanks, I just looked up the LA Urban Chicken Enthusiasts. Great to know about local happenings.

5. chickety china

Feb 4, 2013
    Thanks, good to hear of survival stories.

6. chickety china

Feb 4, 2013
    I have Easter Eggers and Anconas, Austrolap and Rhode Island Red coming. I tried to find ones that were heat/all climate tolerant. Hope I picked well, otherwise I will be working from home a lot this summer...

7. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

Aussies are tough (but I may be biased). They are all good breeds for your conditions.

My shopping list for my next trip to the Philippines includes:

Plymouth Rock
    New Hampshire Red
    Black Australorp
    Orpington
    Dorking
    Jersey Giant
    Cuckoo Marans
    Crème Legbar
    Ameraucana

I may have trouble with one or two breeds but we only get high 80s - both temp and humidity.

9. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

to reverse what bruce the shark said in finding nemo: "chickens are food - not friends" I know I am in trouble now [​IMG]

10. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Crowing

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA

Yer too Funny Dennis! I'll let you know when I put A/C in for the birds! They do get heat when it gets chilly.....[I use the purple lizard heat bulbs] OH they love it! :oops:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by