California-Southern

View attachment 1104452 If people are looking for Pullets I have trader joe x ayam cemani Pullets chicks. These are already outside.
$10 or $15 depending on age.
Pure ayam cemani hens $50

What a cute combo! TJs are a white layer? So these should be chalk white layers?

I'm waiting to see which of my three (7 week old) "pullets" are actually female before I add any more :( lost my white layer so I'm looking for another, but if these are all girls then it won't be for a while! :( still, super cute combo! Have you crossed those before? Any adult pics?

Lost my battle trying to raise two rare Blue Breda pullets. Lost one girl the first week and managed to raise the other to 6-months. Will try more Blue Breda again at a later time but meanwhile I need layers since my only laying hen is one Cuckoo Breda. I special ordered 3 Dominique pullet chicks from Wes's Pets & Feed in El Monte and here they are. I don't like dealing w/ baby chicks but this time of year it's hard to find juvenile Doms anywhere so wish me success w/ these little ones. I won't see eggs from them til next year but at the moment I just want them to survive.
View attachment 1104269 View attachment 1104270

Ugh! So sorry to hear about your Bredas! It's a bad year for birds, it seems. The rain is giving us different bugs and microbes to deal with and different quantities/locations of the regular nasty stuff and the heat stresses everyone's already stressed systems. :(

Good luck with the babies. Privett doesn't vaccinate but they have robust birds. Yay Dominiques! :)

Thanks! Just today I saw her off the eggs and taking a dust bath!

I use the two hole Harris Farms nesting box. Seaweed, the broody hen, is in one nest. I assumed the other hens would use the other side, but no, Scramble has been mushing herself in the side with Seaweed! I saw her and lifted her out and in the other box. When Seaweed was out of the box, there were FOUR extra blue eggs, all from Scramble.

By the way, are eggs that have been under a broody hen for a day or more still ok to eat? I tossed them since I wasn't sure.
Good luck to your broody momma! My girl would get up once a day...poop, speed dust, eat drink and be back on those eggs in 20 minutes!!!!!! I did put water and food right by here in her broody house because I am such a worry wart!! And she would eat watermelon out of my hand!

Ugh. I let the birds out too early this morning because I didn't want my honking girl to upset the neighbors again. I knew I shouldn't have. It was foggy and perfect coyote weather. Sure enough, within ten minutes of being out, something grabbed my beautiful golden cuckoo marans and she was gone :( RIP Phinnaeus Finch.

Ugh. I let the birds out too early this morning because I didn't want my honking girl to upset the neighbors again. I knew I shouldn't have. It was foggy and perfect coyote weather. Sure enough, within ten minutes of being out, something grabbed my beautiful golden cuckoo marans and she was gone :( RIP Phinnaeus Finch.

So sorry to hear that. Always hard to lose them. :(

Awwww...I am so sorry!:hugs RIP sweet girl!

Back
Top Bottom