California-Southern

Hi, welcome to the thread, nice to see some new posts! Sounds like you have a pretty assortment of feathers and egg colors =)

I hatch Marans and olive eggers from my flock; the olive eggers are from various mixes which may or may not include Marans.  Just let me know if you don't find what you are looking for.  I'm in the Palos Verdes area but I have family that is down that way often.

I have not been able to find Olive egger pullets or hens. I would prefer hens, but I can take 1month old chicks to add to my brooder babies. I want anything that either lays dark chocolate eggs or olive eggs. I will PM you :)

Nice!

Did he come from me?

Yes. Maybe I should just keep him. I'm torn! I'm setting some CL eggs today, so maybe I should just switch him out with Uncle Kracker & get some chicks from him when the incubator is free next..... His comb turned out great. Color seems good. Thoughts? Input please?

Hi Everyone!

Thanks to all who helped me liquidate my flock!
Still have some pending birds, a nice trio of Serama, a GORGEOUS Hedemora Roo hatched from Greenfire Farms hatching egg,
Blue Splash Americana Roo that came
from Dana at Indigo, 2 black hens that I'm told are Australorps, that I can't remember where I got them,
That's about all folks. Sue, you did a great job for me, lottsa folks mentioning your name.

Thanks Again all for getting my flock new homes! I need to contact the person who wanted to see pics of the Serama, been
cursed with a camera that is not letting me select and transfer pics.

So..after she has 1st grab, I will post here again.
My OLDEST chicken "Mighty" who you folks all know, will be remaining here in retirement with 3 of his lovely hens.

I also have some chainlink panel coops that may be available soon.
one is 12'X6' 12 panels with one door panel, another coop is 6' X 6' 8 panel (one with 2 extra panels on top, maybe 3 have to check).
one Amish coop (6' X 6'), one Cedar Shed Playhouse converted to coop with extra welding wire encasing porch.
Check out the Cedar Shack web site to see it. (the one that listes for $1200 and change!) I will be taking best offers on coops with
BYC members get first shot before they all go on CL's

Cedar shack disassembles to 2 roof sections, 4 walls, 1 floor, plus a 24" extension I built all the way around so I could walk into it.
Amish Coop holds4-6 birds with 3 or 4 next boxes. 4 walls one roof one floor and on nice wheels.

Glenn

Nice!

Did he come from me?

Yes.  Maybe I should just keep him.  I'm torn!  I'm setting some CL eggs today, so maybe I should just switch him out with Uncle Kracker & get some chicks from him when the incubator is free next.....  His comb turned out great.  Color seems good.  Thoughts?  Input please?

He did turn out nice!! Wing triangle is a bit too white but barring is good generally.
Has he calmed down?

Yes. Maybe I should just keep him. I'm torn! I'm setting some CL eggs today, so maybe I should just switch him out with Uncle Kracker & get some chicks from him when the incubator is free next..... His comb turned out great. Color seems good. Thoughts? Input please?

Unless you have someone that looks better, he is a good candidate in my opinion.
I agree with @Phage's comments about the wing triangle, I don't know how difficult that is to fix, but that's something I'm working on as well.
I'm not sure if that photo does him justice, his stance looks a little off - his wings are held low (more like a leghorn) and his back might be longer than that angle shows, which may also make his tail angle look a little high…but he is not a bad choice at all, and I'm sure you have hens that could offset some of those attributes if needed.

I agree, it is nice to keep a back up Roo, even if related. It would be interesting to see their offspring over the same hens for comparison. I'm not good at moving the hens around. Once they have nice happy groups, I like to keep it that way, so I just end up with new breeding groups (more coops, yada yada yada). But I think I've reached my limit.

He did turn out nice!! Wing triangle is a bit too white but barring is good generally.
Has he calmed down?

Yes, he is doing better. I agree about the wing triangle.
Unless you have someone that looks better, he is a good candidate in my opinion.
I agree with @Phage's comments about the wing triangle, I don't know how difficult that is to fix, but that's something I'm working on as well.
I'm not sure if that photo does him justice, his stance looks a little off - his wings are held low (more like a leghorn) and his back might be longer than that angle shows, which may also make his tail angle look a little high…but he is not a bad choice at all, and I'm sure you have hens that could offset some of those attributes if needed.

I agree, it is nice to keep a back up Roo, even if related. It would be interesting to see their offspring over the same hens for comparison. I'm not good at moving the hens around. Once they have nice happy groups, I like to keep it that way, so I just end up with new breeding groups (more coops, yada yada yada). But I think I've reached my limit.

He is unrelated to any of the others I have. I am setting some eggs from my original grouping tomorrow. I have given him a hen that I will set eggs from once the incubator is available again. Then we can compare. The hen I picked for him has a much lower tail set, very high, tight wing set and a longer back. If we like what he produces with her, then perhaps he will get more girls so we can then do crosses with the offspring. I have some Rees girls growing out that I can put in with my main roo (not Rees line) in a couple of months, too. Hoping to then keep the best of the best to go forward with the "purebred line" and the others can either go into the laying pen or the olive egger pen.

Did you see the great egg I posted this evening from our CL girls? We are getting those regularly now.

Back
Top Bottom