California-Southern

Hi All...

I'm switching up the subject a bit....but please let me know if this has already been discussed....

First of all, I live in the North San Fernando Valley north of CSUN..I've had chickens for about 18 years......my original coop was built for me by my son and over time, I've added 7 more. Are there any others like me in this area of LA?

I ask this because I was wondering about setting up a wholesale co-op for feed. My monthly feed expenses started out at less then $200..now it takes about 3.5 times that to keep food in the bins for about 100 of my loved ones....Does anyone have any thoughts about this?
You have a great idea and initiative! If we were zoned for more than 5 hens/no roos (SGV) I would join in a heartbeat but with only 4 hens (2 are bantams) our feed store prices are manageable at the moment.

Sometime early 2017 it'll be on CMT. I'll have to wait until then, but it looks like a fun documentary.
big_smile.png

Quick question for y'all, I just learned about a breeder called Papa's Poultry. LOTS of cool breeds on his website. Anyone have any experience with him? He's in Redding.

https://papaspoultry.com

I ordered eggs from Papa's Poulty to hatch at my daughter's school. He has the pens divided and marks the eggs so you know what lines they're from. He sent plenty of extras. Our hatch rate wasn't great but the incubator was in the classroom. I think we only had 1-2 without any development. The unhatched ones looked fully or nearly developed but I think "helpers" left the incubator open too long when removing hatched chicks. Of the crested cream legbar female chicks, though, only one had distinct chipmunk markings.

We agreed to have the eggs sent to my local post office for pick up. That post office is only 2 minutes from my house. It wasn't his fault but the eggs ended up in South Central and were lost in the USPS system for a couple of days. Then, I was told to contact Lancaster CA PO. In the end, USPS left them on my doorstep, days after they actually had arrived in Los Angeles.

The day old chicks I ordered from Once In A Blue Moon Farmstead were great and all the legbars had great markings. The Ameraucanas from the latter also seem to be less noisy than ones I've had in the past but they're still young.

Sometime early 2017 it'll be on CMT. I'll have to wait until then, but it looks like a fun documentary.
big_smile.png

Quick question for y'all, I just learned about a breeder called Papa's Poultry. LOTS of cool breeds on his website. Anyone have any experience with him? He's in Redding.

https://papaspoultry.com
I ordered eggs for myself, and I have had great results. They package the eggs carefully, nothing broken. They arrived in 48 hours. Air cells were not as bad as others I"ve hatched. They mark the different breeds clearly and when I had trouble identifying the babies (since I didn't separate them well enough), they responded quickly when I sent them photos asking for identities.

I also ordered eggs for as a prize and had them sent across town to the winner. They had a phenomenal hatch rate from them. I'll see if I can find numbers for you.

Good luck!!

Have you tried getting feed from Kahoots in Chatsworth? It's cheaper than Red Barn. You might also try DaMoors in Burbank.

I appreciate the input! But I'm in East SGV so Chatsworth and Burbank are a traffic nightmare for us. We use San Dimas Grain and Feed closer to us and they carry the organic Scratch and Peck products we like plus turkey grow 21% when we have a new pullet. (We are zoned 5 hens/no roos). San Dimas community is a horse and livestock area and carry a lot of the poultry products and feed we want. Wes's Pets and Feed in El Monte is another source for us and really have a beautiful selection of new chicks to adult birds in the store and have contacts with local breeders of other specialty fowl too.

So in 100+ weather again, now I can say I've found heat tolerant birds are: Plymouth Rock, Phoenix, Sussex, Marans. Heat INTOLERANT birds: Faverolles.
Heat drama birds: Easter Eggers.

The Phoenix is handling it the best, followed by Rocks and Sussex. The Marans might just be young but they've been the smartest about finding ways to cool down.

The Easter Eggers are definitely suffering and they're such drama queens they end up not being smart about cooling down. One in particular I'm sure I'll lose to a heat wave some day.

Yikes. Hope this goes away soon and everyone is ok.

The date is Saturday, October 8th, and the location will be at Lakepoint Park, at 420 E Lakeshore Dr Lake Elsinore, CA. 92530. Starts at 9am (set up as early as you want, please bring me some donuts and coffee, lol) and goes until dusk or when Susan stops talking lol. There are trees, a playground, restrooms, and a limited amount of picnic tables w/bbq's (3 in the area). Plenty of parking, but will have to make an aprox 100 yard walk and YES the wagon will be available. The spot is overlooking the lake and the weather should be perfect. So come one, come all and tell a friend and pack a picnic lunch or if someone wants to plan a potluck that's fine too. I am also looking for raffle items and donations. In addition I will post a reply to this post where everyone can post whatever they Have, Want, or Need. (Please quote whoever you are responding to) Also there will be a reply post for those who want to offer a raffle item i.e. Custom baskets like at the last meet up.
Any questions, PM me... Thanks..

Kinda Funny story:
I came home after work to 5 of my 6 chickens roaming my backyard. The 6th was nowhere to be found. Apparantly my 4 year old had let them out at some point earlier in the day and my husband had no idea, so we didn't know how long they'd been out or how long she was missing. We checked the immediate neighbors houses to no avail, but out property backs up to an apartment complex too. So I drove over to the complex and amazingly found her. A group of kids had found her and had been "taking care" of her (read, holding her and carrying her all over) they even tried to give her some water since it was hot. They were so excited to learn that It was a "she" and laid eggs. So I brought her home and took them back some eggs as a reward.

This was all about 530-6pm, as soon as she was back to the coop she promptly went into the nest box and laid an egg. Poor thing, I can't imagine her holding that in all day waiting for a safe place to lay it.
Needless to say, the 4 year old got a very stern talking to about letting the chickens out without mom/dad's permission.
But I think it made those other kids' afternoon!

Back
Top Bottom