California-Southern

Has anyone successfully integrated their backyard flock with their middle-aged dog? How do you keep the chickens from coming up and attacking the dog? I have a 7y/o herding mix that can mind his own business but the girls have not been minding THEIRS and it creates problems. 

thanks! 

Feel lucky I have the opposite problem my dog wants to take out the chickens I'd rather have unruly chickens than a killing dog

Would anyone have any experience in dealing with newborn chicks being brooded. I have a newborn hatched today and had to separate it from momma because she was pecking it too much. Should I or shouldn't I separate it out of concern for its well being. Hen is still sitting on other eggs so thinking she is protecting the eggs still.

Would anyone have any experience in dealing with newborn chicks being brooded. I have a newborn hatched today and had to separate it from momma because she was pecking it too much. Should I or shouldn't I separate it out of concern for its well being. Hen is still sitting on other eggs so thinking she is protecting the eggs still.

In my experience it will need to be brooded separately as the broody behavior seems to be consistent (i.e. if not friendly to the chick in the beginning, the hen doesn't get any nicer over time). If you try to reintroduce after the others hatch, be careful, she may kill it. They are very good at identifying what they consider outsiders.

If she has a large clutch, you may want to take a couple more hatchlings to keep this one company for awhile.

Perhaps someone else has a different experience?

When we got our chicks they were under a week old and we kept them in a brooder. It was much easier than I expected and I loved it. Sounds like that might be the best option for your hatchling. I haven't experienced I've only read of hens killing their own chicks, I don't blame you for wanting to be cautious.

In my experience it will need to be brooded separately as the broody behavior seems to be consistent (i.e. if not friendly to the chick in the beginning, the hen doesn't get any nicer over time).  If you try to reintroduce after the others hatch, be careful, she may kill it.  They are very good at identifying what they consider outsiders.

If she has a large clutch, you may want to take a couple more hatchlings to keep this one company for awhile.  

Perhaps someone else has a different experience?

If no more hatch in the next few hours, give it a small mirror and a plush toy or feather duster in the brooder. They need company.

You did the right thing in separating the chick from the mom. I agree with the advice you have received so far from @sol2go and @amelia egghart

If you do plan on re-introducing it back to the mom, make sure you are close by to supervise in case she rejects to chick. If she rejects the chick, the chick could suffer injuries from her pecking it or from being too cold as she kicks it out of the nest or from injuries from other chickens because she kicked it out of the nest and became unprotected. If you decide to raise the chick, make sure it has at least 1 other sibling to keep it company. 2 is better, but if it's a small clutch, 1 will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom