CALIFORNIA The Whole State thread

I believe it's in the middle of the week because they are jewish and can't work on the sabbath. At least that's what someone told me.

I PROMISE I'll enter a ton of birds next year. My breeds could use the exposure but also I'd like people to become more interested in breeding them. I just couldn't do it this year...next year I'm assuming I'll be in less pain.
AND I think there are plenty of folks that have MORE birds than I do...silly

Sewandgrow....Denny? mycutekitties (let's see some of those gorgeous polish)!!!

Many old breeds, like mine, have been neglected so long that there are none that meet the Standard. So, is it best to leave those breeds at home because they are poor quality? Or should they be displayed-at this show- so that people can see that they exist?
And maybe poultry people like me will enter this show and will learn what they need to do, the importance of breeding to the SOP.

COMPLETELY AGREE!!!

I believe it's in the middle of the week because they are jewish and can't work on the sabbath. At least that's what someone told me.
The Gettles are Seventh-day Adventist, who observe the Sabbath on Saturdays. They say that the reasoning behind the mid week expo is because they want to accommodate farmers, most of which have Farmer's Markets on Saturday. Prices to rent the fairgrounds are also higher on the weekends. It could be a combination of all these reasons.

Cheryl, did you have a booth there? I couldn't find it.

The Gettles are Seventh-day Adventist, who observe the Sabbath on Saturdays. They say that the reasoning behind the mid week expo is because they want to accommodate farmers, most of which have Farmer's Markets on Saturday. Prices to rent the fairgrounds are also higher on the weekends. It could be a combination of all these reasons.

Cheryl, did you have a booth there? I couldn't find it.

Ah now that makes a lot of sense, thanks for clarifying.

Sadly we weren't able to do the booth. We were going to have a nice big booth right outside the livestock/poultry buildings with tons of shade. With my spinal stenosis that I'm dealing with currently I've had to put a lot of "dreams" on hold. I'm really hoping to doing it and supporting it next year though

Just finished burying one of my lavender egg layer hens. There were seeds near her in the pen. Yesterday when they were in the yard they were eatting apples. I think she may have chocked or maybe she ingested so many of those seeds, they killed her.

I'm sorry to hear about your husband, but it sounds like you are staying positive.
hugs.gif
Thank you! We are trying to.
Yeah yesterday I got my Trio of White Empordanesa. Love his comb
Congrats!
The quality and quantity of the birds at the show may not have been what you would see at other shows, but I appreciate that the people who organized the event decided to include this show, as part of the National Heirloom Expo.

I think this show is an opportunity for people who would not ever think of attending a poultry show to get a glimpse of what one is like, and they may consider going to see other APA shows. Thanks in a large part to Walt, this was a show where people could see the judging process up close and ask questions. The more informal setting was a fantastic place for the general public to learn so much about poultry as well as showing.

I never considered showing my chickens. I would not enter them in any other APA shows or even the Fair. Yet, last year, I entered a couple birds in the Expo show. I did it only because I have an uncommon heritage breed with an important and interesting history. I wanted people to know that they exist- to actually see them. This show seemed to be a good venue for that. I put a flyer with information about the breed on the cage. You can't do that at APA shows, but it is allowed at this show to enhance the learning experience.

This, my one and only experience with showing, was a good experiment for me. I knew absolutely nothing about how to show a bird. The people running the poultry show were fantastic, so friendly and helpful. That made it overall a positive endeavor and I would like to enter this show again, some day.

My birds were not "show quality" and I knew that. After the judging that year, I asked a lady there (a prominent poultry breeder) what the circled # 1's on my coop cards meant. She said it meant that I didn't place. She told me that my birds were way too small. She pointed out the Champion Orpington and said that my birds should fill the cage like that one. I felt so embarrassed after speaking to her and I wished that I hadn't entered the show. She suggested that I speak to the judge about my birds - a thought that horrified me. It took me a long time to get up the nerve to approach him, but I'm glad that I did. It started a learning process that is helping me improve the birds in my flock. Because of that, some day my birds will meet the Standard.

So, I have mixed feelings about those poor quality birds in this particular show. I wouldn't expect or want to see those in a show like the one at Stockton. But the Expo show is more about giving the general public the opportunity to see and learn about Heritage breeds. Many old breeds, like mine, have been neglected so long that there are none that meet the Standard. So, is it best to leave those breeds at home because they are poor quality? Or should they be displayed-at this show- so that people can see that they exist?
And maybe poultry people like me will enter this show and will learn what they need to do, the importance of breeding to the SOP.
Well said! I personally love the feel of a small show like this one. I really wanted to make it this year but my back also was not cooperating with me. Hopefully next year.

Thanks for the info Walt! Really excited about going next time. :)

I had Micro Surgery for that four years ago. It was "Outpatient" and I was home the same day. No more Spinal Stenosis.

Ron

Ron - My cousin had the spinal stenosis surgery that you are describing last year. They had planned to keep her overnight but it went so well and she recovered so quickly that they sent her home that night. I sent Cheryl the contact info form my cousin's surgeon - he is not far from us. Actually I had rotator cuff surgery the same week that my cousin had her nerve surgery - took me longer to get back in action then it took her!

Capay - Thanks for the info on the Gettles. I knew they had to avoid weekends for religious reasons, just assumed they were Jewish (like me), and actually observed the sabbath (unlike me). I didn't realize that Seventh Day Adventists observed on Saturday as well. Hey - I learned something today - can I go home now?

Quote: Yes, I should have had the surgery two years earlier. That would have saved me from having nerve damage and foot drop. Both are slowly(yes, four years is slow right?) getting better but the muscle will never be as strong as it should be(the one that lifts the foot). The Micro surgery uses microscopes and little tools. They opened up the nerve channels at four vertebra but the incision was only at one vertebra.

The is the longest period I have gone without terrible back pain since 1990 or so.

I really feel for Cheryl and Sunny. This is very painful.
sad-smiley-056.gif

Ron

Back
Top Bottom