CALIFORNIA The Whole State thread

Hello fellow BYCers and Californians! I am expanding my flock and wanted to do a little research first. I was shopping on Craigslist looking for local chicken breeders and came across a listing for "Unionhill Ranch- Rare and Heritage Chickens". Has anyone in CA heard anything about them or purchased from them before? The names listed are Jim and Heidi Miller. They have several pictures of beautiful chickens but I want to be sure this is legit. They are charging really high and I don't want to be scammed. Thanks in advance! I REALLY appreciate it! :D

Hello fellow BYCers and Californians! I am expanding my flock and wanted to do a little research first. I was shopping on Craigslist looking for local chicken breeders and came across a listing for "Unionhill Ranch- Rare and Heritage Chickens". Has anyone in CA heard anything about them or purchased from them before? The names listed are Jim and Heidi Miller. They have several pictures of beautiful chickens but I want to be sure this is legit. They are charging really high and I don't want to be scammed. Thanks in advance! I REALLY appreciate it!
big_smile.png
Do you have more information on them?

Also, what are you looking for? Go to the first post here and check out the CA breeders list. Another way to find that special breed is to go to the breed thread and find someone that sells them.

Welcome!

Do you have more information on them?

Also, what are you looking for? Go to the first post here and check out the CA breeders list. Another way to find that special breed is to go to the breed thread and find someone that sells them.

Welcome!
Hello! Thank you!

I don't have anything else. They gave me a link to their website but it is temporarily down for maintenance..... for the next couple of weeks. Also, when I asked them where they are located, (in order to pick up the chicks) they offered to meet me somewhere closer to where I am, without disclosing their location. I have used Craigslist before and never had any issues. It just seems a little.......? I'm hoping maybe someone on here would have bought from them before.

I'm trying to get a couple more "real" Ameraucanas, Marans and BLRW. I've been looking on here awhile, but really want someone local. I don't hatch eggs and I don't want my chicks shipped. This breeder says they have eggs due to hatch in a couple weeks from all three of these breeds (show quality). They also claim their Marans are direct from Wade Jeane. Any thoughts?

Quote: I like to meet people on Craig's list a places other than my house.

Bio security and getting harassed by an un mentionable group are two reasons.

The old parking lot transfer and etc.

You can get all of those breeds from BYC members. I have seen very nice BLRW and Marans around here.

fl.gif
I hope you find them!

Hello! Thank you!

I don't have anything else. They gave me a link to their website but it is temporarily down for maintenance..... for the next couple of weeks. Also, when I asked them where they are located, (in order to pick up the chicks) they offered to meet me somewhere closer to where I am, without disclosing their location. I have used Craigslist before and never had any issues. It just seems a little.......? I'm hoping maybe someone on here would have bought from them before.

I'm trying to get a couple more "real" Ameraucanas, Marans and BLRW. I've been looking on here awhile, but really want someone local. I don't hatch eggs and I don't want my chicks shipped. This breeder says they have eggs due to hatch in a couple weeks from all three of these breeds (show quality). They also claim their Marans are direct from Wade Jeane. Any thoughts?
Are they selling sexed chicks? ( that usually says they are hatchery birds on those breeds) Ask to see pictures of their chickens and their eggs. The only Americauna breeder I know down that way is on BYC. I'm in San Jose, not too far, but I wont have full bread Marans until later in the spring, right now my girls are running with 2 roosters and I won't separate until there is enough light for them to lay on their won.

offering to meet isn't that unusual, but being able to have time to do that ( not a busy farm ) AND having website issues would prick my ears too. But it does happen. I would just look at the pictures of the chickens and make sure they look like pictures someone takes of their own chickens and not ones stolen from the Internet :). And ask to see the Marans eggs that are laying NOW not the photo of thier best eggs. They should be close to that photo, unless they had no time out over winter.
I always think people know I'm legit because my photos are so crappy, ha!

Hello! Thank you!

I have Black Copper and Blue Copper Marans and also Lavender and Blue Ameraucanas. My Marans ar Bev Davis lines and my AMs come from Riddick (pips&peeps), Shafer and Rockinpaints. I also have bantam Chocolates. There are a lot of us here that could probably find you what you need. I won't have any chicks available untill later next month and nothing that's growing out, but someone might have POL or already laying hens. There are several people on here that have very nice BLRWs. Hopefully someone will see this and contact you.

Jean lines are pretty popular and lots of people have them, so it's more than possible that they do have those lines.

Hello! Thank you!

BTW I added you to our members list
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/california-thread-members-list-and-helpful-information

I have Black Copper and Blue Copper Marans and also Lavender and Blue Ameraucanas. My Marans ar Bev Davis lines and my AMs come from Riddick (pips&peeps), Shafer and Rockinpaints. I also have bantam Chocolates. There are a lot of us here that could probably find you what you need.  I won't have any chicks available untill later next month and nothing that's growing out, but someone might have POL or already laying hens. There are several people on here that have very nice BLRWs. Hopefully someone will see this and contact you.

Jean lines are pretty popular and lots of people have them, so it's more than possible that they do have those lines.

I am interested in black copper marans and the ameraucanas if you hatch out some chicks :)

I am interested in black copper marans and the ameraucanas if you hatch out some chicks
smile.png
I'll let you know what I get. One of my blue AMs are laying, but none of my lavenders. I have 3 blue coppers laying too and one of my older black copper girls. I'm going to hatch out as many as I can, but last year I had the worse hatches I've ever had. Maybe this year will be better.

I have Black Copper and Blue Copper Marans and also Lavender and Blue Ameraucanas. My Marans ar Bev Davis lines and my AMs come from Riddick (pips&peeps), Shafer and Rockinpaints. I also have bantam Chocolates. There are a lot of us here that could probably find you what you need. I won't have any chicks available untill later next month and nothing that's growing out, but someone might have POL or already laying hens. There are several people on here that have very nice BLRWs. Hopefully someone will see this and contact you.

Thank you! Let me know how the hatches go, I would be interested in both your Marans and Ameraucanas. Just the Blue Copper Marans, but either the Blue or Lav for the AMs
big_smile.png

I'm so happy to be officially on the members list! Go California chickens! I look forward to growing friendships along with my chickens!
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom