California's Ban on Plasmas

SarahFair

Songster
11 Years
Sep 23, 2008
Monroe, Ga
It hasnt happend but they are moving to create a ban on big power hungry plasmas

But the California Energy Commission is looking for ways to relieve the strain on the power grid. Officials say the standards, once fully in place, would reduce the state's annual energy needs by an amount equivalent to the power consumed by 86,400 homes.

During a peak viewing time when most sets are on, such as the Super Bowl, TVs in the state collectively suck up the equivalent of 40% of the power generated by the San Onofre nuclear power station running at full capacity. Televisions account for about 10% of the average Californian's monthly household electricity bill.

http://www.usnews.com/money/blogs/fresh-greens/2009/1/6/california-may-ban-big-screen-tvs.html

What do you think?​

Quote:
I dont think thats it. They arent banning all TVs just the ones using a lot of energy..

hide.gif
I was being silly.

Plasmas are on the way out as discussed by the techno geeks in my family, LCD being the up and coming technology. After the blackouts / shortages and increasing demand for electricity what else are they to do?

Last edited:
Quote:
I dont think thats it. They arent banning all TVs just the ones using a lot of energy..

hide.gif
I was being silly.
Plasmas are on the way out as discussed by the techno geeks in my family, LCD being the up and coming technology. After the blackouts / shortages and increasing demand for electricity what else are they to do?

That is not allowed
smack.gif

I jk
hugs.gif

But some people are saying they should raise the price of electricity. I didnt think that was fair to Betty Sue and Bobby Joe down the road who (and not to offend anyone cause lord knows I cant afford everything..) have to hang their clothes on a clothes line because they cant afford to run a dryer.

I think california is just saying to buy a more energy efficient TV..

Back
Top Bottom