Call duck eggs are beginning to pip, including the one with twins!

The best I can do is wish you luck. I don't know if daubing the umbilicus with mild iodine would help or not...we do it with foals, but I just don't know about how that would affect a duckling, or if it would be too strong for him. I was present at birth for my foals, so I got them daubed double-quick to dry out the umbilicus and prevent infection from entering. We don't have to worry about anyone getting yolk with those though...when the mare stands, you try to delay the breaking of the umbilicus as long as possible so any blood in it, which can be considerable, gets dumped into the foal and once that cord breaks, that's pretty much it.

Good duckluck to you!

A couple of my calls have hatched like that. What I do is hard boil and egg. Grind up the white and mix it with a little bit of sugar water and electrolytes and feed it some. It usually perks them up! There have been two ducks that I thought were goners and pulled through because of it.

Awwwwww, how precious. I hope the tiny baby makes it.
fl.gif
I've read on the forum that its rare to have twins! Please keep us posted.
hugs.gif

Quote:
Yep, Thats what I do with most my little ones. It keeps them safe and secure as well as warm and comforted. As stated before, the feel of your heart beat gives them that safe-under- mama feeling.
love.gif

Good luck! With my last hatch I had a duckling that somehow ended up outside of the nest and dog house that mama had her nest in and was under a pallet. It took all day of warming up in either my pocket or bra and plenty of TLC before I was sure that it would be ok in with the other 15.

After all the waiting- at least I had my own diversion, but was sad to get home and find the update with not such god news about of the little one. It always a risk- that why they are so rare and we have all been waiting and hoping for the best for these precious little one.

I have had little ones with open navels- some make it some dont, rest, warmth and a chance to regain some strength is important, If you could give it a few drops of vitamins in water it might help until it is able to eat something more solid. Something to reduce the risk of infection on the navel may help too. It certainly is a lot smaller than the other. I do hope he pulls through.

Back
Top Bottom