call duck ID assistance needed (new pics added)

ruralmom

Songster
13 Years
Aug 14, 2009
NW Colorado
[i
39112_callduck4.jpg

mg]https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/39112_call_duck3.jpg[/img]
39112_aspen_040.jpg

39112_call_duck2.jpg

39112_call_duck.jpg

I was told the hen is a snowy and this pic was taken this summer when she may have some of her juvenile plumage. She is whiter and still has the spots. Where does the orange bill come from?
The drake I think is a snowy as well, but unclear. He looks like the grey drake I have but not as bright and clear. Kind of looks like his color has bleached out.
The picture of the hen with her leg stretched out, the drake in question is in the back behind the bibbed bird.
Any ideas would help. I am sure the drake is a cross. I have not idea of the parents of the hen. Thanks all.

Last edited:
Neither look like snowys to me. The drake looks like a blue fawn. The hen almost looks like a silver appleyard but she is lacking the eye stripes.

I see a Snowy female, Black Bibbed Male, Blue Fawn Male, and a Grey Male.

I hope you plan on getting more females soon or taking 2 of the males out since the 3 males will end up killing the female from trying to breed her.

Oh, she is not my only female. She is the only hen I could not ID. I have a bib pair, grey pair, the blue fawn( surprise to me), a lovely butterscotch hen, this snowy hen, and another grey hen. I would like to keep the breeds at true as possible when I breed in the spring. What is a blue fawn? is it a cross? How about the snowy hen, is that a cross? I have almost completed a raised breeding pen, thanks to the designs of others on this page, and it will house the pairs so as to reduce the cross breeding. I have a buyer for the bibbed just need to deliver.

Blue Fawns "can" breed true, BUT that all depends on what other colors have been introduced into the line.

Blue Fawns can also come from Greys. Only if someone has introduced Blue Fawn into their lines somewhere.

Thank to all, I think I will need to get rid of Br. Blue Fawn. I am in need of a butterscotch drake and I think the proceeds from Mr. Blue Fawn will go towards a new male. I seem to be hen rich and drake poor. I do enjoy the birds and do not think I will ever be without. Boy, they are loud though!

Blue fawn is simply the grey pattern with the addition of a single blue gene. Pastels for instance are the grey pattern with two blue genes. If you breed blue fawn to blue fawn you will get 50% blue fawn offspring, 25% pastel offspring and 25% grey offspring. If you breed blue fawn to grey then you would get 50% of each color. If you bred blue fawn to pastel you would get 50% of each of those colors. If you bred a grey to a pastel you would get 100% blue fawn offspring.

Back
Top Bottom