Call duck question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by veronicasmom, Oct 23, 2009.

1. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    I have a chance to get a female call. I have always heard they are really loud, but how loud? My female runner is noisy, noisy, noisy. She sounds like a crazy maniacal person sometimes. She doesn't "talk" constantly, usually when she sees us and wants to get fed or out to free range.
    I have neighbors that are pretty close to us, so I don't want to annoy them too much.
    Also, we have a pretty large Pekin, she's the only Pekin we've ever had, so maybe she's not all that big for that breed, but to me she's huge. Can I put a little Call in with the runners (2) and the Pekin safely, or will she be too small?

2. momof247371

momof247371 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    My calls are running with my Muscoveys, Pekins, Sweedish, and campbells. I have had no problems with them so far. And trust me, my calls look like ants compared to my muscoveys;)

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

My calls are very loud. As soon as they hear a door open at the house they start hollering up a storm.

4. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Same. [​IMG] We have 'Scovies and Calls and there is a pretty large size difference. But I wouldn't get her if you have any drakes. I'd be too worried about her getting crushed in the mating process.

Are they that loud? YES, YES, YES!!! Noisy little things! It's hard to believe such tiny birds can make such noise. It's not even a regular 'quack' so much, they go by their namesake. It's like a...call.

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I have my call ducks in with 2 muscovies, and a pair of pekins, and they do just fine. The little males even try to take on the male pekin. Its very funny to watch. [​IMG]

6. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    I have a runner drake, who is very happy to accomodate his girls, alot! So, maybe I should wait till I find a larger breed that might not be bothered by him.
    Thanks for the info.

7. Stina

Stina Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Allentown, PA
    I have 5 calls...they certainly CAN be VERY loud....but they are usually quiet unless they are out of food or water...lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by