1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Call Duck questions

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by themadbackpacker, Nov 6, 2011.

1. themadbackpacker

themadbackpacker Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2011
    Hello everyone!

Well as I am the resident chicken keeper, my roommate has decided to get a handful of call ducks. I've never raised them before, and I was curious if they would stay penned inside a run made of 2 x 4 welded wire. I had thought of running chicken wire around the bottom to try to prevent them from getting out and/or stuck in the wire. If anyone here has call ducks, please let me know what's the best course of action.

Also if anyone knows, what size water dish should I use? I'm afraid the standard TSC dish will have too high of sides.

Thanks a dozen!

2. wilobrookfarms

wilobrookfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2011
    I want call ducks. When I asked about housing, everyone said they can fly REALLY well! lol So I'm waiting till the spring, when I can build a covered pen. So I'm sure size would be fine, but they would need a covered run. [​IMG]
    !

3. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    They're LOUD.
    You also need to make sure that nothing can dig in under your run.
    They need housing, of course, and you can use bricks or build some little steps for the big black rubber bowls if you want, but mine like to fly up and dive into the bowl. [​IMG]
    Oh, did I mention they're LOUD? They're also the most adorable little things you've ever seen. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by