Call duckling - deformed bill

New pic of Gharth with Rex, hatched the same day. Still smaller, but eats all the time!
E281F336-50EA-4AC1-88FC-BAD08B18E755.jpeg

Any updates on Gharth?
He is doing just fine! Thanks for asking!

He is always the one that gets under my feet for treats! He’s still a little on the small side, and seems to eat the most, but I think the deformity just makes it take longer for him to get full.

Last week, he was looking kinda ragged, (almost like possible wet feather) as we had a long stretch of wet weather and cold temps. I saw him shivering, so I brought him inside for a warm bath and a good drying. The next morning, he followed me back outside and has been fine since. I did take the opportunity to get a couple pics of his bill now.
@DucksinOR
30DA7B90-446F-4603-AF81-C1E24CBF4988.jpeg

EE794C73-86BF-48C7-B044-337AABA132A0.jpeg

E678F154-987D-4DFE-94E7-4F2985D0CCBE.jpeg

780896BF-0912-41BC-B1A4-A9CB99136F0F.jpeg

I had a call duck hen sitting on eggs that decided, for whatever reason, to give up the nest. I checked the eggs and several were still viable, so I put them in the incubator. This one hatched yesterday, but it has a deformed bill. I hope it will be able to eat and drink... so far it is doing well. Very active, and has a sibling helping it along. I thought I’d start a thread to monitor it, and invite anyone who has experienced this, or is just interested in the outcome, to tag along.
View attachment 2656873View attachment 2656874

We just had a baby duck born with same deformity. He seem to be doing well and breathing ok. He’s only been hatched for about 5hours. Was wanting to know how you started him off with feedings and drinking. Thanks so much

We just had a baby duck born with same deformity. He seem to be doing well and breathing ok. He’s only been hatched for about 5hours. Was wanting to know how you started him off with feedings and drinking. Thanks so much

I think I made the feed a little soupy by adding water for the first few days, but he learned how to scoop it up just fine. To this day, he seems to spend more time at the feeder, and appears to be a little pig, but I think it just takes him a little longer to get full, because he can't scoop as much as the others. But overall, he's a fine fella, and celebrated his first birthday a few weeks ago!

I think I made the feed a little soupy by adding water for the first few days, but he learned how to scoop it up just fine. To this day, he seems to spend more time at the feeder, and appears to be a little pig, but I think it just takes him a little longer to get full, because he can't scoop as much as the others. But overall, he's a fine fella, and celebrated his first birthday a few weeks ago!
As an adult, do you feed him pellets or crumble?

Back
Top Bottom