Call Ducks Finally Hatched

I think it's going ok, hard to tell as there are still no external pips. I think this one internally pipped but I feel like the yolk sac may have ruptured? I can see yellow inside when I gently candle it. What do you guys think?
(both videos are of same egg, taken this morning).
Aweeee how sweet! The yellow may be little bit of stickiness but i wouldnt worry about it.

Aweeee how sweet! The yellow may be little bit of stickiness but i wouldnt worry about it.

Lori look how mine are growing! 2 months old. :)
WP_20170523_18_45_00_Pro_LI.jpg
WP_20170522_17_48_27_Pro_LI.jpg

Ok phew,
Is there any timeline I should be tracking between internal pip and external? It's probably too early to know but is there a point at which you recommend helping this duck, if it is sticky?

Thank you so much!

Your duckies (calls?) are beautiful, eye on the prize.

Ok phew,
Is there any timeline I should be tracking between internal pip and external? It's probably too early to know but is there a point at which you recommend helping this duck, if it is sticky?

Thank you so much!

Your duckies (calls?) are beautiful, eye on the prize.
great video!! i know you arent asking me but from my experience 24 hours from internal to external, then another 24+ to zipping

i'd wait 24 then make a safety hole as near the bill as possible to make sure it is getting enough oxygen

Good Luck! I cant wait to see babies!!

IMG_4107.JPG
Well.....,this is just gonna be a personal observation from my last few months of getting into "Call Ducks".

Nothing can take the place of the momma sitting on her own eggs!

We have had three clutches laid by our Gray Call. 21 eggs that she sat on. 31 eggs laid in all.

First clutch was 12 eggs, all 12 hatched. After the first day we gathered the ducklings and raised them in a brooder and pen until they were feathered out then we put them in the aviary.

On the second clutch we pulled the eggs after she had laid 10. They went straight to the pre-heated incubator and on the scheduled day, 1 hatched. That one, named "Lucky", is in the brooder now with 2 "Old English" bantam chicks for company. They are doing fine, but I'm sure he/she will grow up confused!

Clutch #3 was nine eggs, she never stopped laying when we pulled the 10 for the incubator. Out of those 9, seven hatched two days ago. We are going to leave those seven with mom in the aviary with everyone else and see how they fair. So far things are going good on that front.

To recap, out of 21 eggs she sat on, 19 hatched. I'm not too good with calculating, but that's a little North of 90%.
Compared to the 10%, 1 outa 10, success we had with the incubator. And we have had nearly a 90% success rate hatching our own chickens eggs in the 'bator so I know it works!

In the pic are 12 three month old grays, 2 three and a half month old "Snowy Calls" from a friends collection and momma with her new brood of seven. Out of the pic are the 2 Gray Drakes that are poppa to all the babies. That part gets confusing, could make a good Maury Povich or Jerry Springer show down the road.

Last edited:
great video!! i know you arent asking me but from my experience 24 hours from internal to external, then another 24+ to zipping

i'd wait 24 then make a safety hole as near the bill as possible to make sure it is getting enough oxygen

Good Luck! I cant wait to see babies!!

Hi guys, Thank you all for your help- As suggested I made a little safety hole. He is loud and busy but has not made any progress (2.5 hours now). Sorry for the foggy video, the clear top of my incubator is a little scratched up.

Does his beak look upside down to you? The top side of his beak is facing the small/narrow side of the egg.. newbie over here!!

Last edited:
Hi guys, Thank you all for your help- As suggested I made a little safety hole. He is loud and busy but has not made any progress (2.5 hours now). Sorry for the foggy video, the clear top of my incubator is a little scratched up.

Does his beak look upside down to you? The top side of his beak is facing the small/narrow side of the egg.. newbie over here!!

Safety holes should only be the size of a pin hole... bigger and the membrane can dry out quickly... I advize opening it a bit more at this point and using cocnut oil, vaseline or an antibiotic ointment to lube the inner membrane with...

View attachment 1017613 Well.....,this is just gonna be a personal observation from my last few months of getting into "Call Ducks".

Nothing can take the place of the momma sitting on her own eggs!

We have had three clutches laid by our Gray Call. 21 eggs that she sat on. 31 eggs laid in all.

First clutch was 12 eggs, all 12 hatched. After the first day we gathered the ducklings and raised them in a brooder and pen until they were feathered out then we put them in the aviary.

On the second clutch we pulled the eggs after she had laid 10. They went straight to the pre-heated incubator and on the scheduled day, 1 hatched. That one, named "Lucky", is in the brooder now with 2 "Old English" bantam chicks for company. They are doing fine, but I'm sure he/she will grow up confused!

Clutch #3 was nine eggs, she never stopped laying when we pulled the 10 for the incubator. Out of those 9, seven hatched two days ago. We are going to leave those seven with mom in the aviary with everyone else and see how they fair. So far things are going good on that front.

To recap, out of 21 eggs she sat on, 19 hatched. I'm not too good with calculating, but that's a little North of 90%.
Compared to the 10%, 1 outa 10, success we had with the incubator. And we have had nearly a 90% success rate hatching our own chickens eggs in the 'bator so I know it works!

In the pic are 12 three month old grays, 2 three and a half month old "Snowy Calls" from a friends collection and momma with her new brood of seven. Out of the pic are the 2 Gray Drakes that are poppa to all the babies. That part gets confusing, could make a good Maury Povich or Jerry Springer show down the road.

Did you use an upright auto turner when you incubated the Call eggs?

Back
Top Bottom