Call Ducks Finally Hatched

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Lacrystol, Mar 30, 2013.

1. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

I wouldn't kill the snakes you find unless you want to have a vermin problem. But if it was a rattlesnake, I'm fairly confident that you would not have found the chick at all.

I'm really sorry for your loss. Sometimes the little ones just don't make it for one reason or another, that's why most prey birds are so prolific.

2. clousert

clousert Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2013
    Melbourne, FL

Maybe they don't like to be turned so much like chickens do. I only roll mine over 3 times a day. Just a thought.

3. peachncrm37

peachncrm37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2013
    Central Florida
    Couldn't find any Pygmy rattlers. Tweek was full grown so no way a Pygmy could've eaten him.

Hopefully it was just an isolated incident. I know it happens but still sucks :/

4. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio

So sorry, if it was a snake he would have struck and left, I don't think they stay around where there's that much commotion..

5. clousert

Aug 16, 2013
    Melbourne, FL

So sorry to hear about Tweek. It definitely sucks. Hope it was just an isolated incident also. What made you think rattler? Were there puncture wounds or was it just a guess?

6. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio

Agree mine gets turned four times only because they are on a turner.. Lol you all know how I set mine on the turner..

7. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Oh man oh man, it's my turn, due this Friday, I'm nerves, I can hear my fan acting up!! My humidity is going spastic.... I'm stressing

8. peachncrm37

peachncrm37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2013
    Central Florida

No, I was kinda hoping rattler I guess? He had no marks, eyes clear, mouth clear, he was a good weight, no blood, no messy vent or anything....so was just trying to think of logical alternatives.

Either way I freaked and cleaned everything as best I could in case it was something he ingested. Hated losing him.

By the way I'm confusing Tweek. It wasn't Tweek, Tweek is a girl. It was the spotted male I got from you that we originally thought was a girl. Either way, very sad to lose him. I hope I don't lose any hatchlings. Have 7, and tomorrow is day 27. Three seem to be zipping, so tonight is going to be a LONG night.

9. clousert

Aug 16, 2013
    Melbourne, FL

Oh no. I hope everyone makes it out safely

10. clousert

Aug 16, 2013
    Melbourne, FL

Always sucks loosing one of the kids. Sucks even more when you don't know the cause in my opinion.

Hope all 7 of your little ones make it out safely too

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by