Call Ducks Hatchery

Quote:
The ducks are already feathered but young juveniles. I was kind of glad because I could put them outside in a pen. They probably would not ship babies this far because they may not live. I was holding my breath when I opened the box. I just could not find any Calls near here and most breeders will not ship live birds, only eggs.

I guess I should count myself very fortunate. I purchased 6 white call duck eggs last month. They were shipped from Tennessee. I gave them to one of my broody cochin hens. Then I crossed my fingers. 26 days later 5 of the ducklings hatched. I was thrilled! The 6th one developed the entire time, but died right before hatch... even heard it peeping in the shell. One of them died a day or two after hatching... the hen accidentally suffocated it. So I ended up with 4 ducklings, which are now over a month old and almost fully feathered. They grow FAST! You can see photos of them on my web site. So far I've heard 2 of them quack, so I have at least two females. Ideally, I prefer three but I'd be happy with a 50/50 ratio. Next spring, I am going to let my cochin hens hatch their eggs.

BTW, that bibbed call duck above is gorgeous.
big_smile.png
Wish I had a few of those.

Last edited:
Scott, you are very fortunate and I am so glad you had shipped eggs hatch. I have silkies that I may put my eggs under this spring. I am already EXCITED! I do not have the best bator and as I said this is all a learning process.

I do want to try shipped eggs again. Maybe order closer to home and let the chickens do the sitten instead of the bator.

Scott, you have beautiful birds. You must be so proud. The snowy I hatched has a little longer beak then I would like but I am so proud to have hatched him. More pictures Everyone, Please!

Quote:
I am proud of my birds. and yes, I was thrilled to get four call ducklings out of six shipped eggs. Like you, I am looking forward to spring so I can work on rearing some call ducklings from my four white calls.

Luvducks, please post pictures when you can. I'm glad your new arrivals are doing well.

Gee, Scott, you can have that Bibbed girl if you like her so much.
lol.png
She doesn't like people at all. I'm still trying to find that secret to getting them to like me. And, to make things worse, she's starting to fly. I love those whites you posted in your threads but I have trouble getting stains out everything. Clothing, poultry...Little things would be covered in mud the minute they're set loose on my property. Poor Magpie will never look quite the same.
wink.png

You are better off getting ducklings from breeders not hatcheries, theres are very large, long bill, long and narrow bodies, just bad in general! Breeders usually have all the good genetics behind every bird they sell! That means that you can breed two bad quality birds and get some of the best, but on the other hand you may get a show quality pair and they may never throw a duckling that is as good as them but in calls its all about the strain you get. You may pay a little more for them from breeders but they will be worth it in the long run. So what I would do is get on a list for ducklings starting next year which 4 to 5 months they will be hatching duckling out once again then get a few.

I have 6 calls (3 male, 3 fe) and I love them. They are very friendly, silly little ducks. I can't think of a thing on the neg. side other than if you don't like noise, the females are very loud. I keep the wings clipped so they don't fly away and they free range in my fenced in back yard.

does anyone know any place in hoio to get call ducks for less than 15$ each they dont have to be show quaility i just want some calls:D

Back
Top Bottom