1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Call Ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BlueCamas, Feb 17, 2013.

1. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    I have heard that Call Ducks are the loudest of all ducks, the females anyway. So how loud are they compared to a rooster? When are they loud? All day, or only when they lay an egg? Thanks [​IMG]

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I've never had a rooster but my call ducks have been fairly loud. That being said I have kept a few while in the city. They certainly weren't as loud as the neighborhood dogs. Mine are usually chatty in the morning and whenever they are spooked.

3. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    Thank you [​IMG]
    How are they temperament wise? Friendly? Nervous?

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Mine are quite friendly but can be a bit skittish at times.

5. aprille218

aprille218 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    northern MN
    Call ducks are louder than most roosters. They are very friendly social little ducks that talk loudest when excited or scared. Mine quack whenever they hear my voice.

6. Diamond88

Diamond88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2012
    Chicago
    As long as nothing is out of the ordinary, my call keeps pretty quiet. But as soon as something makes her nervous or agitated, then forget it, she starts screeching until everything is okay again. And I do mean screeching! It's not regular quacking. [​IMG]

7. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    Just get all males - they are nearly silent...... also they are the most colourful!

8. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Screeching? ha! i need to see if i can find what that sounds like... i still waffle on getting some calls... [​IMG]

9. WindDancer

WindDancer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Farmer City, IL
    I love my call ducks. Yes they can be loud as can be but mine usually when they hear my voice or ran outta water or food. They always make sure to let me know they need something even if it just attention. As far as friendly or not, yes, they are friendly and very social birds but can be skittish at times. We are actually in the process of hatching more of the little cuties [​IMG]

10. Dwen

Dwen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Concord, NC
    To give you an example of how loud calls can be, I went to a show this weekend. Anyone who has been to a show knows what it sounds like. This time, there were only about 200 cocks all trying to crow at once. There was also a little call hen, very small and of good type. Her quack sounded like a cross between a histerical monkey and a terrified bird, and you could hear her, over all the roosters, other ducks, hens, and peafowl, from the other end of the room.
    Think unhappy duckling on steroids. That's almost what she sounded like.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by