calling all Ameraucana, Araucana, and EE experts

Quote:
You made a blanket statement, which was incorrect.

Technically I'm not sure I did, because lavender,splash, blue are all technically black chickens.
smile.png

pips&peeps, I was wondering when you'd show up.
big_smile.png

EEs are technically mutts. They don't have an actual breed standard- they're not even a breed. However, they are often sold as Ameracaunas and Auracanas. Confusing, isn't it?
hu.gif

pips&peeps, I was wondering when you'd show up.

I slept in this morning. I was up at 5:00 though collecting my duck eggs so the darn blasted %$#*@?! raven that has been hanging around didn't eat them all.​

Quote:
You made a blanket statement, which was incorrect.

Technically I'm not sure I did, because lavender,splash, blue are all technically black chickens.
smile.png

(Actually, I think you meant BLACK, splash, and blue.....but anyway -- )

It's the differences between purebred, well-bred, and good quality birds.

For yet another example --

I have a purebred dalmatian. However, she is "patched" -- she has two patches of black (patches are genetically different than dalmatian spots). Therefore, she is disqualified from showing, under the standard. Further, she was produced by a very irresponsible breeder. Therefore, she is purebred -- but not well-bred, and not good quality.

Similarly, I agree that a serious breeder should probably not breed one color to another color. Mixing the colors often produces birds that don't meet the standard for that breed -- for instance, they may not meet the color standard. Such birds are not good quality and not well-bred. However, if their parents are both purebred birds of the same breed, then the offspring are still purebred birds themselves -- even if they are poor quality and poorly bred.

Clear as mud yet?
wink.png

I wasn't looking to show - I didn't think these would be "show quality" but am very interested in genetics of colors. Been reading a little bit on the blue gene.

next question - what makes lavender different than blue?

Jean and/or Sara and/or Anne and/or....

Let's go back to something alluded to a bit earlier on this thread. Say you have a pure Silver Ameraucana bred to a pure Red/Brown Ameraucana. Are the offspring of that mating still pure Ameraucana even though they won't conform to any of the color standards, or are they already EE's????

This has nothing to do with "showing" the birds, but I'm also curious exactly where in the breeding the transition comes between Ameraucana and EE.

Thanks

Susan

Last edited:
My understanding is that if a bird does not meet the Standard for it's breed/color then it is considered an Easter Egger. So if you crossed two colors, the offspring would not meet the Standard for the color (which includes breeding true and color of egg among other thing) then the resulting offspring would be considered Easter Eggers. But if I'm wrong let me know Jean.
wink.png

Quote:
Yeah, I'm pretty sure you are right, but I just wanted to check it out again one more time. A woman who raises chickens and sells them locally tried to tell me different this morning, and I bit my tongue because.....she's a professional and I'm ....just a beginner....Not to mention that she was a lot bigger than I am....LOL...

Susan

Back
Top Bottom