Calling All Beekeepers!

PioneerChicks

Naturalist
Sep 4, 2019
Idaho -- currently roadschooling
My Coop
My Coop
Hello! Does anybody else keep bees? If so...

How long have you been keeping bees?
How many hives do you have?
Do you know what kind of bees you have? And if you do, why?
In your opinion, what flowers/plants do bees like best?
Why did you first get bees? Does it run in your family?
What do you like best about beekeeping?
What advice would you give to a newbie keeper?

I got bees early this year.
Just one hive, but some friends of ours are in a rental so they are keeping their bees on our property.
I have Italian Honeybees because that is what kind the place we got them from had on hand, and I have heard that they are a bit tamer than most.
I have noticed the bees really like clover, sunflowers and a mystery plant in our garden.
My grandpa (on my dad's side) kept bees, but none of his children or grandchildren ever caught onto this awesome hobby. My mom and I have always wanted to try them, and just decided that this was the year! We wanted them for honey, the garden, and as a learning experience!
I really enjoy checking out the hive and seeing all the honey, brood, and bees. Bees are so fascinating! I love learning about them!
I am a newbie, so not much advice. I'll just say that I am glad I did some research and know some people who already keep bees!

I come from a line of beekeepers in my family. My Grandfather always sent us home with a gallon of Honey when we would visit. My father later got into beekeeping and I was always fascinated by the bees. Then my oldest brother made a living working with bees. They all used the langstroth hive. I have sorta played around with beekeeping but I prefer the Top Bar hive. I recently purchased 6.7 acres and am ready to up my game from one hive to six hives in order to get an ag exemption. I live in Comal County Tx and only need 5 acres with six hives to qualify. I'm glad to find other beekeepers on this Chicken forum! The Birds and Bees go together. :highfive: #highrockbirdsandbees

I come from a line of beekeepers in my family. My Grandfather always sent us home with a gallon of Honey when we would visit. My father later got into beekeeping and I was always fascinated by the bees. Then my oldest brother made a living working with bees. They all used the langstroth hive. I have sorta played around with beekeeping but I prefer the Top Bar hive. I recently purchased 6.7 acres and am ready to up my game from one hive to six hives in order to get an ag exemption. I live in Comal County Tx and only need 5 acres with six hives to qualify. I'm glad to find other beekeepers on this Chicken forum! The Birds and Bees go together. :highfive: #highrockbirdsandbees
I always got a gallon of honey from my grandpa too! True, birds and bees go together! Good luck with the exemption, please keep me updated! (I wish I lived on six acres!!!)

I am really interested in bees but I live in a relatively dense area.

Will bees annoy my neighbors? I have plenty of garden area and flowers to support them. I just have neighbors fairly close on that side.

Will bees annoy my neighbors? I have plenty of garden area and flowers to support them. I just have neighbors fairly close on that side.
The main differences I noticed when I got bees was less wasps around and more bees. Deal for me! They are pretty easy maintenance (in my short experience) and don't sting unless you are crushing them or sometimes when you open their hive (sometimes, most the time not). You should get them!!!

Been researching and swarm trapping for 4 years now. I got 2 packages coming in a couple of weeks. (Finally) I started researching them when I found out the tree 20' from the back door had a hive in it. The only time I got stung one landed on my face and I pushed it into me. (I stung myself really) They died/left a few years later. I notice squirrels in that hole now.

I had a hive in a dense neighborhood once. My neighbors never even knew they were there unless I told them. They couldn't see the hive which was behind a privacy fence. And actually the bees did pretty well with all the plants and flowers in everyone else yards.
I was told a long time ago, let your neighbors know you have bees and that you will share some honey with them when you get some. Most folks support the little pollinators. Do it!

Back
Top Bottom