Calling all Dog owners!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Butterscotchbitesfinger, Jul 22, 2019.

1. CJLR

CJLR Songster

Jun 9, 2019
    ok thankyou so much for the advice :)

2. Jandsloch

Jandsloch Songster

Apr 3, 2019
    Nw pa
    10F1DD18-32CD-4994-9500-1851F40D7C18.jpeg I have 2 boys doggo on left is Max he is an coonhound/shepherd mix a year old in the pic. Duke on the right he’s a border collie/red lab mix almost 3 in the pic. I didn’t have any issues putting the 2 together when we got max. Duke babies and mothered him. If “outsiders” tried to pet max duke stood in between and wouldn’t allow it. They are best friends. One can’t go without the other ;)

3. BigBlueHen53

BigBlueHen53 Crowing

Mar 5, 2019
    SE Missouri, USA
    We moved with a cat once and he shot out of the car at the new place before we could get him into the house and disappeared for three days. There were coyotes and bobcats, hawks and who knows what else and I thought he was a goner for sure. Then he walked in the front door, ate and drank like there was no tomorrow, slept around the clock, and was perfectly fine after that, the big dope. I think he skinnied up a tree and watched to make sure we came in and out and this was truly home. He always was a little weird. Since then I have always used a crate to transport cats but I was young then.

4. Butterscotchbitesfinger

Butterscotchbitesfinger Crossing the Road

Nov 2, 2018
    Thank you all for your replies. Very helpful. I’m so tired I’m going to be like a zombie today. Puppy got up came into my room middle of the night. I had to take him back to his pillow and try and get him to sleep. Long story short my Dad had to come do it

5. Top Rooster

Top Rooster Songster

Aug 16, 2015
    North East Oklahoma
    How did you guys train your dog not to attack your chickens?

6. Jealous Gypsy

Jealous Gypsy Songster

Jul 13, 2019
    My hubby is a certified trainer. Ill have him post when he gets home. He did teach me though not to put new puppies in bed if you don't wanna wake up with "puppy presents "

7. Jealous Gypsy

Jealous Gypsy Songster

Jul 13, 2019
    I told them baby ! Gentle! I carefully watched them, but they weren't really aggressive to begin with as you can see . She however did and still wants to chase the ducks 20190401_163536.jpg

8. Top Rooster

Top Rooster Songster

Aug 16, 2015
    North East Oklahoma
    When I tried to train him as a puppy he always got too excited when they’d run from them and now he’s killed two chickens since then and I can’t trust him around them. He’s a German shepherd/ husky mix. 9 months old and 90 pounds.

9. BigBlueHen53

BigBlueHen53 Crowing

Mar 5, 2019
    SE Missouri, USA
    When we got the chickens Gracie was about a year old and already pretty well obedience trained. But I put her on leash with her training collar to introduce her. Because of her coat (she's a Sheltie) I always use a prong collar. If you're not familiar with it, have a professional fit it properly and show you how to use it. Anyway, she was interested in them because they were new to her, of course, but I put her on a Sit-stay, and if she broke from that I just corrected her, gave a Heel command, walked her away from them, got an Automatic Sit and praised her for that. Then I would walk her back toward the chickens, stop, get another Auto Sit and praise. Heel away. Repeat. Then I practiced Sit-stays and Down-stays, gradually making them longer and longer, all where she could see and hear the chickens. All this focused her on me, not the chickens. She quickly learned to pretty much ignore them. Except she does still insist on playing a little game we call Bowling for Chickens once in a while. ... it's harmless and I let her get away with it because it conditions the chickens to pretty much ignore her, too.

10. igorsMistress

igorsMistress Crossing the Road Barefoot

Apr 9, 2013
    My Coop
    A shock collar works great for training pups to leave the birds alone. I have one dog that really enjoys the chase and we're training that even a fake rush is unacceptable. It allows you to reach out and touch them when you can't be right next to them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: