Calling all Dog owners!

When I tried to train him as a puppy he always got too excited when they’d run from them and now he’s killed two chickens since then and I can’t trust him around them. He’s a German shepherd/ husky mix. 9 months old and 90 pounds.
Mines a German shepherd grey hound mix shes about 90 lbs too ! Jolene is about 3 now,They grow out of the excitement a bit as they get older, but she does also have a few other pup pals to play with too that helps, and going out every few hours for potty and exercise

I think a big reason I found myself so attracted to the crested chickens is because I have Chinese Crested dogs. I have four! I've also been volunteering for Bald is Beautiful Dog Rescue for over 8 years and foster...a LOT of sweeties! Here mine are, dressed as hippies. Demi • Chip • "Dancing Nathan" • Kramer • "Hot Mess Gilligan" // (Chip, the yorkie, passed away last December)
22491742_886754448150416_3000702715269247605_n.jpg
I find, the older they get, the better they behave. lol. Actually, they've always been really well-adjusted dogs, for the most part. (Nathan is my "problem child") It does require consistency and routine. And when fosters join us, they seem to follow my dogs' cues. It's amazing how great everyone seems to get along.

Last edited:
Mines a German shepherd grey hound mix shes about 90 lbs too ! Jolene is about 3 now,They grow out of the excitement a bit as they get older, but she does also have a few other pup pals to play with too that helps, and going out every few hours for potty and exercise
We take ours out on a walk just about every morning so he gets his exercise. He’s still young so he’s a little crazy still.

Pet Wilbur for me :)

What is your dogs name? Her name is Lily (actually Tiger Lily, but I never call her by her full name)
What breed? I was told she's a Boston Terrier/Chihuahua (mther was the Boston, who knows about the dad)
Do you have dogs? You mean other dogs? Yeah, a few, but Lily is special to me
Do you breed? Nope. I keep my dogs and cats spayed
Do you show? No, I'm not fond of breeding to show quality standards; I think the standards cause too many health problems and inbreeding. I just want my animals to be happy and healthy.

View attachment 1853693
WOW! This is so crazy!!! We got a new puppy a couple weekse ago, and she is brindle with white markings, and her mother was a Boston bull terrier, but her dad is a mystery who kinda looks like a Chihuahua mix (but he's super cute, not like the dog you think of when you hear Chihuahua)

I think a big reason I found myself so attracted to the crested chickens is because I have Chinese Crested dogs. I have four! I've also been volunteering for Bald is Beautiful Dog Rescue for over 8 years and foster...a LOT of sweeties! Here mine are, dressed as hippies. Demi • Chip • "Dancing Nathan" • Kramer • "Hot Mess Gilligan" // (Chip, the yorkie, passed away last December)View attachment 1854471 I find, the older they get, the better they behave. lol. Actually, they've always been really well-adjusted dogs, for the most part. (Nathan is my "problem child") It does require consistency and routine. And when fosters join us, they seem to follow my dogs' cues. It's amazing how great everyone seems to get along.
:lau:gig this pic is priceless:gig

WOW! This is so crazy!!! We got a new puppy a couple weekse ago, and she is brindle with white markings, and her mother was a Boston bull terrier, but her dad is a mystery who kinda looks like a Chihuahua mix (but he's super cute, not like the dog you think of when you hear Chihuahua)
I hope you love her! If she's like my dog, she'll probably be spunky and really smart. Lily is a huge people pleaser, too, so she's been super easy to train :)

I think a big reason I found myself so attracted to the crested chickens is because I have Chinese Crested dogs. I have four! I've also been volunteering for Bald is Beautiful Dog Rescue for over 8 years and foster...a LOT of sweeties! Here mine are, dressed as hippies. Demi • Chip • "Dancing Nathan" • Kramer • "Hot Mess Gilligan" // (Chip, the yorkie, passed away last December)View attachment 1854471 I find, the older they get, the better they behave. lol. Actually, they've always been really well-adjusted dogs, for the most part. (Nathan is my "problem child") It does require consistency and routine. And when fosters join us, they seem to follow my dogs' cues. It's amazing how great everyone seems to get along.

:loveI had a Chinese Crested named Lily...she was a busy little bee, super sweet. Not hairless which is why she was unwanted by her previous owner. I adored her. Love the hippie look
giggle.gif

How did you guys train your dog not to attack your chickens?
Training coolers....a vibrate as a warning when they are near works well.....but my hound gets tunnel vision when they fly so I have to zap....few and far between now been working with them for a month. Started with taking one by one on leash walking by the chickens and praising when they payed no mind then after a day or 2 switched to the collars

I have an overgrown rat named Buzz, he's really a Chaweenie but he looks like a really badly bred Min Pin (what I thought he was when I first met him). He's all of 13 pounds and was going to be put down due to being aggressive and dangerous... He was showing a combination of fear biting and trying to guard / protect his people which would have been fine if his people weren't small children who would be yelled at fairly frequently, then the mutt would rush to the rescue and get himself in trouble. He's fine now, just a little food aggressive (he hackles up and shows teeth if I take his food but he doesn't touch me) but I pin that on the fact that he lives with cats that are bigger than he is and try to steal his food so he has to be a little aggressive to keep them away.

Lucky is the love of my life. I adopted her almost 8 years ago. She turned 15 on July 4th. She's a long haired chocolate and tan dachshund (mini) she went down with IVDD in April 2010 so she'd had back surgery for a ruptured disc before I adopted her. I would have to say take lots of car rides and maybe visits to the vet's office just to say hi - it breaks my heart to see her entire little body shaking for the ride and the visit. I don't breed or show her, or dogs at all.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1459571255839.jpg
    FB_IMG_1459571255839.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom