Calling all EE experts! What gender?

the type of lacing its getting is henny (girl) typical coloration - the boys of a silver lace or partridge usually have a black based chest and not nearly the lacing or penciling as the girls do... so color says girl, but that comb is really pinking up already at 5 weeks...that comb says boy..

Give it some time is all I can say.

Post again in a few more weeks. I'm not convinced either way, boy or girl. This is THE hard color to sex in EE's at a young age!
wink.png
If it gets any red coming in on its shoulders, it's a definite boy.

I cant make a guess on gender but I can say in no way is it a SLW. I have 2 of these black and white EE's in my garage right now. I am seriously questioning the gender on them but I wont make a guess until I hear a crow

I would guess girl. I don't see any red coming in on the wings yet and the pattern doesn't look patchy like a roo would. So far, I say it's a pullet but if any splashy colors start showing up then you should be suspicious.
smile.png

Ok, now bout now folks? Are we getting any closer to making a guess? Its comb is red b/c its getting pecked on, I just added them to the coop with the big girls.

110168_new4.jpg

110168_new5.jpg

Most of the black and white ones I have seen are boys. I have seen a few girls on here. I would have to say by the way yours is coloring out that you got a pullet.
big_smile.png

I only see a single row on the comb, so I'd guess pullet too. When I was asking for feedback on my EEs a few weeks back, I was told if there was only one row of "peas" on the pea comb - pullet. If there are three little ridges/rows of peas - cockerel. Two of mine had pink/reddish combs starting around 4 weeks of age (which is why I was worried I had males), but their pea were singles. And everyone was right. So at least in EEs, early red combs don't mean much. I was told about the red leakage in the wings of black/white EEs, but I see none in your chick. So my vote is pullet.

EE are crosses right? So it would be fair to say she may have some SLW in her, I know that my SLW cross hen had the black under eye eye-liner like this chickie does. I thought it was super cute which is why I ignored the lack of green legs on what was supposed to be an EE... my flock is turning into mutt-o-palooza! I'm guessing EE with SLW somewhere in the family tree, and a pullet.
aaaaaaaaand... Iris has very intense eyes. I don't think I'd mess with her!
ETA: picture of Mari's eyeliner at 5 weeks old.
85560_dscf2022.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom