Calling all genetic geeks!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by CochinBrahmaLover, Oct 7, 2012.

1. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Shes a barred rock (standard) crossed with a partridge cochin bantam rooster. Shes starting to gt in feathers , I'll try to get a pic, but its gold with some black on one edge. She is 3 days old, and has feathered feet.
    (bonus pic :D )
    [​IMG]
    What color do you think she'll be?

2. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    that chick shouldnt be.... E/eb birds just dont look like that, E is Extended Black and it come from her mother and eb(brown) from her dad, unless the BR hen was infact a E/eb hen herself, you just cant tell E/eb birds from E/E, as far as her coloring will be, well she will not be barred for sure, as barring is a sex link trait, and her mother cant pass her barring gene to her....

please let us know how she turn out at a later stage

4. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    she may end up being almost black...

6. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Sorry, but this genetics geek does not think the mother was a barred rock. The mother was wheaten and carried a restrictor. That's my two cents. The chick can have black in the primaries and not be black. Could be a buff columbian.

Tim

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm not a genetics geek but I also don't think that chick came from a barred rock momma. Someone else's eggs got in the mix. Your're breeding black sex links and I've seen them from a partridge rooster, they're your basic black sex link.

8. Wait, so if its a black sex link...

Whats her sex??????????????????????????

OK looking back mom MIGHT'VE (big old might) be a orpington...Our orpingtons weren't laying tho at the time and dont lay that shade of egg :/
    Lettme guess, y'all all agree shes a partridge rooster over a orpington? [​IMG][​IMG]

9. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    well I thought the same, but a E/eWh hen that is also barred should and would look like a barred rock, maybe a project bird?....

10. Shes 6 days old now.... Feathers more apperant... Try to get a pic but their black with gold streaks... very pretty, very light 'gold', almost buff.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by