Calling all GSD experts~ why does Holly do this?

Funky Feathers

former Fattie
11 Years
Jan 15, 2009
Maryland
My Coop
My Coop
Hi, our GSD "Holly", unspayed (yet), will be 3 in July, is acting odd. There is this one toy- a rubber toy- that she fusses over. She does not do this with any other of her toys. She likes to have us throw her a toy and she catches it in mid-air. But this one, she chews on, then whines, cries and groans. Like she is highly upset or in pain. We have never seen her do this before, she just started it about a week ago. She is not in heat. Always at night, never during the day. Any ideas?

bluetoy1.jpg

bluetoy2.jpg

bluetoy3.jpg

bluetoy4.jpg

Do you think maybe she has a bad tooth or a loose tooth? I wouldn't think so at three, but not sure how long they lose teeth and grow adult teeth. It looks like it would be a harder toy.

Last edited:
Gritsar and I were just talking about one of my dogs doing that. Best start with having her teeth checked.

She has pretty pearly white teeth! Can you take something and press on each tooth and see if she has a reaction to a certain tooth. She could have something starting, just not showing yet.

Maybe she is just becoming a little obsessive about it. Maybe try taking it away for a week...then give it back and see if the behavior goes away.

She looks mixed with Elkhound.

I remember something about jaw problems with them, but that was years ago.

Also check her ears for mites. Sometimes when they have an ear problem they will chew like crazy. May not look like she has them, but a good treatment might help. Also check for foxtails. One of my Rotties years ago had one lodged where I couldn't see anything and the infection made her chew too. There was no odor or anything, but it was in there deep.

Back
Top Bottom