Calling All Orpington Gurus!!

Pics
Im no geneticist and have a small mixed flock of breeds. I’ve only had chickens for 2 years and decided to let my buff orp have her way and hatch 6 more chicks. My roo is a beautiful lab orp. I gave her eggs from a silver laced orp, buff orp, barred rock, Easter egger, etc. I now have a new little flock of BLACK HENS. One has a dark grey head and light gray body. E88AE834-ADB0-4A08-A765-A4099D6D09E2.jpeg The only interesting one was the barred rock/lab orp...he’s beautiful. The only difference is the shape of their combs. And they are not nice like their moms and dad. They do lay big pinkish eggs though. I’d like a few more chicks next time one gets broody but

Attachments

• C0AB8717-1043-4097-ADA9-27E5336F5130.jpeg
    C0AB8717-1043-4097-ADA9-27E5336F5130.jpeg
    478.2 KB · Views: 4
I currently have English Blue, Lavender, Jubilee, Mottled and Splash Orp hens and a Lavender orp roo! I’m picking up a Black orp hen to breed back to the Lav to maintain the feather quality but I’m also in the market to get another Roo that could possibly make some interesting coloring and patterns in the offspring! I’m wanting to start a project breed but I can’t seem to figure out which roo I should get that would work with the colors I have currently!! Please help with ideas!!View attachment 2405584View attachment 2405585
I’m so filled with awe at the beauty of these orphingtons 😍Will be following.

I currently have English Blue, Lavender, Jubilee, Mottled and Splash Orp hens and a Lavender orp roo! I’m picking up a Black orp hen to breed back to the Lav to maintain the feather quality but I’m also in the market to get another Roo that could possibly make some interesting coloring and patterns in the offspring! I’m wanting to start a project breed but I can’t seem to figure out which roo I should get that would work with the colors I have currently!! Please help with ideas!!View attachment 2405584View attachment 2405585
Nobody has suggested a chocolate rooster for your color project...
That would give you sex-linked chicks in your first generation, and all sorts of other options in later generations, like mauve and chocolate cuckoo.

I now have a new little flock of BLACK HENS.

The Lavender Orpington carries Black. Without his offspring inheriting two copies of the Lavender gene they will be black. Black covers up a lot of stuff too, so it would make sense that most of the babies would be black.

Back
Top Bottom