Calling all peacock owners/experts, help a newcomer with peacocks!

I think I am going to go with the India Blue or Blue India. i can't remember!
lol.png

Quote:
lol.png
Thanks!
thumbsup.gif
I have mentioned this before, but on your aviary. The netting, have you had any predator problems? I am just worried a racoon or possum might kill my peafowl. (If I get them)

In our area there are a lot of Coyotes. Never have I had a problem with them even though one was run over right in our front yard and we saw one way in the backyard running out of the woods and we sometimes see their tracks. We also have a few foxes, I don't think that many. Then I know we have opossums and raccoons. There were times were I could have sworn that the poop I found in the peafowl pen wasn't peafowl poop it was raccoon, but who knows. Then there was one time when a small hawk somehow got into the pen, the story is here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=453504

The
hawk was so small I don't think it was after the peafowl, probably just a squirrel that it tried to get to that was in the pen or a small birdie.
We do have large hawks and owls but they don't touch the netting or even come close to it. So far I haven't seen anything trying to get at my peafowl. I think all the predators are over at the neighbor's trying to eat their flock of chickens. We noticed a pile of rooster feathers in the back from were some canine had caught a rooster and plucked it and ate it.

The netting works great when the peafowl fly up at it. A good top to your pen is supposed to be strong enough to keep the peafowl in, but flexible enough so that if they ever fly up and hit it they bounce off and don't hurt themselves.

I have only had 2 problems. One was with raccons (I think) the farm up the street caught 4 racoons. It had killed like 3/4 of thier flock and 2 of my easter eggers.
hmm.png
Besides that I am so excited to get started on building an aviary!

That is another reason I like peafowl. They are bigger than a lot of birds so I don't worry too much about predator problems. The fact that peafowl are from India, were tigers live that can and do hunt the peafowl yet peafowl still do a great job of surviving just tells you they are pretty tough.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom