Calling All Peafowlologists.........PLEEEEZZZZZEEEEE

Sir Birdaholic

Night Knight
10 Years
Nov 6, 2009
Greers Ferry Lake,Arkansas
....... or anybody that knows anything...... about Peafowl genetics. I have a 4y.o.Purple Blackshoulder male & 3 1y.o. Purple females. I'm pretty sure I'll get all Purple chicks, but will they be Purples, Purple Blackshoulder, or both? All's I know about Peafowl, is....... they're pretty!
hu.gif

My Purple Blackshoulder male
44102_peacock-july_014.jpg

My Purple male, that died, & a hen
44102_chicken_chat_11_032.jpg

Any help is much appreciated!

Last edited:
With your hens being with an older male you should get fertile eggs, the chicks will be Purple split to BS unless the hens are split BS it also looks like your male has white flights do you know his parents were.

In reality when you breed Purple to Purple you should get Purple, but there's always that chance of something being in the wood pile. I have always liked the Purples the Spalding Purples are the best looking ones I think, check out the ones at www.texaspeafowl.com

Last edited:
Yes, they have some nice birds! I was all over the internet this morning, & finally, after a few hours of searching, found out the difference between a Purple & a Black Shoulder Purple.
idunno.gif
He has white to tannish flight feathers, so is he split to white? I'm real curious as to what would hatch from these, & what was in the woodpile!
gig.gif
Here's few more pics.
44102_chicken_chat_11_130.jpg

44102_chicken_chat_11_113.jpg

44102_chicken_chat_11_101.jpg

44102_chicken_chat_11_106.jpg

Yes in the first pic of the hens , of the two one is a male, the pic with the 3 hens together are all three purple.

Purple bs X purple hen = all purple split bs chicks.....unless the hens are split bs then some will be purple bs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom