Sex linked/basic recessive colors with double gene expression parent

Midnightman14

Crowing
7 Years
May 23, 2016
Central WI
I want to start by saying all of this is pure speculation based on my knowledge of biology.,genetics, and from what other breeders have shared with me.

For colors such as taupe, Ivory, hazel, and indigo part of outcrossing is using a basic recessive hen and a taupe/ivory/hazel/indigo cock. Any of those cock birds paired over a hen showing the "basic recessive" half of their heritage. For taupes and ivories this would be an opal hen, for hazel and indigo it would be a bronze. Because the sex linked genes are exhibited in the female offspring you get all indigo/hazel hens when a cock bird of either color is bred to a bronze hen. For Taupe and ivory it would be a opal hen serving as an outcross for taupe and ivory hens.

You can breed taupes, indigos, and hazels to purples and get purple chicks of both sexes because of their genetic makeup. This is where things get more interesting. Other breeders have observed that purples that come out of indigo, hazel, and taupe are much more vibrant and purple than your normal purples. Some speculate that the extra basic recessive gene might influence it. I don't disagree since there is no proof otherwise but I also think these birds are showing intense hybrid vigor. Since prior to the advent of the double color expression birds the mutations that created these birds were basically islands from each other. With the bridging between the two populations due to the double gene colors it's a breath of fresh air for colors that had been isolated from each other. Again just my thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom