Calling all Penedesencas Owners/Breeders

Quote:
Thanks Josh. I'm really happy with these birds. They are also MUCH calmer than I had been led to believe. My home raised youngsters are as laid back as my other breeds
big_smile.png

Quote:
Mine were laying great in the fall & early winter, especially the Partridge girls. I purposely shut them down for 2 months (by turning off the barn lights) and just brought them back up 2 weeks ago. I wanted them to have a more natural rest cycle. We should be going stong within the next 2 weeks. It will be interesting to compare the different breeds. My Black Copper Marans & Welsummers should be laying by early March.

I had trouble hatching Partridge Penes. I got 1 pair out of 3 dozen eggs and then the cockerel died. So I have a partridge pullet.
I gave up on trying to hatch them for awhile and got a dozen of Jerry Pools Wheaten Penedesencas. I have 4 little monsters, 5 weeks old, right now. 2 girls, 2 boys.
I have a dozen more of his Wheatens in the incubator right now.
I'm trying to get there....

here are the wheatens on day 1

wheatenPeneChicks.jpg

Quote:
I'm so sorry you had such a hard time
hmm.png
I had a similar experience (only had 1 chick of 3 dozen eggs and it later died), but those eggs were picked up, not shipped. I was very lucky to come across my stock. Their eggs have been hatching well. I do tend to run a higher humidity at hatch. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with them doing well. My roos are very serious about their job, but have not been rough at all with my hens so far. They seem to be true gentlemen. Aggression has also not been an issue at all...a certain little Cochin is a different story
hmm.png

Quote:
I'm so sorry you had such a hard time
hmm.png
I had a similar experience (only had 1 chick of 3 dozen eggs and it later died), but those eggs were picked up, not shipped. I was very lucky to come across my stock. Their eggs have been hatching well. I do tend to run a higher humidity at hatch. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with them doing well. My roos are very serious about their job, but have not been rough at all with my hens so far. They seem to be true gentlemen. Aggression has also not been an issue at all...a certain little Cochin is a different story
hmm.png

Thanks
The little wheatens seem to be less afraid then the partridge kids were. Their egg color is better too.
I hand fed them hard boiled egg bits many times so every time I put my hand in the brooder they run over and lightly peck me for tasty bits. I expected them to act a little wild like the Partridge babies did but these are as easy to handle so far as any I've hatched.

Laura, can you sex the Wheatens at birth by color? I may have lost track but I believe the two lightest chicks are the boys and are now sporting black feathers.
Is that true of all the Penes? It turned out to be true of the partridge as well.

Josh, this was a good idea. I've asked questions a few times of Pene owners and there do not seem to be many around.

Looking forward to learning all I can!
thanks
Kris

Quote:
Kris,

As far as I know, Wheatens cannot be sexed at hatch. They should all be light creme colored with perhaps a small few smuges of darker color. They should not have striping like the Partridge. You can definitely see the difference in the Partridge chicks at birth. I need to get on the ball and order some wings bands so I can start marking the little boogers at hatch
smile.png

I would like start raising penes and help out this breed, if anyone can give me hand by directing me to someone that has eggs or chicks for sale would be helpful. I have the space to do it, so thanks in advance. Mark

Here are pics of my Wheaten Penedesencas at 5+ weeks.
Let me know if I am off on these. I'm new to Penes. Their legs look a little green in these pics, not so much for real.
I'm ok with learning by showing. Doesn't mean I won't love these little buggers, just have to pick good stock to go forward. I have more of these from the same breeder in the incubator now.

WPene5weeks-1.jpg

Little cockerel 1
wpboy1.jpg

Little cockerel 2
wpboy2.jpg

Little pullet 1
wpgirl1.jpg

Little pullet 2
wpgirl2.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom