Calling all Penedesencas Owners/Breeders

Pics
good to 'see' you again Luann... i have had a hard time hatching many chicks this year... most of my hens have been setting for the last 6 months... they will stop for a week or 2 and lay a few eggs and then start setting again lol... determined little suckers i have decided to let them set and raise there own chicks next year maybe it will help them lay more in-between any ways... they are molting right now and I'm hoping to get a good fall/winter hatch...
They look good for the having taking a long ride in a box. I am glad to see them. In my original breeders I was sent some with white legs and some with poor comb, so I have been working on getting rid of white legs and working on combs. Keep the best of your offspring and I will do the same and at some point we can do some more trades to make sure we don't get inbred. Trade with others you find closer to you if you can.

Welsummers are partridge also and would look a lot like a partridge penedesenca. Wheaton boys should feather out dark body with golden hackles as juveniles. As adults they are usually lighter in the hackles than partridge but not always. If you are planning to raise partridge and wheaton, I would suggest marking roos at birth with toe punch or banding - unmixing them takes several generations so it can be a costly mistake.

Welsummers are partridge also and would look a lot like a partridge penedesenca. Wheaton boys should feather out dark body with golden hackles as juveniles. As adults they are usually lighter in the hackles than partridge but not always. If you are planning to raise partridge and wheaton, I would suggest marking roos at birth with toe punch or banding - unmixing them takes several generations so it can be a costly mistake.
Good to know thank you.
I think the rooster chick I kept is correct. Always pick Chickens out in the light lol

Hi All!

I have two of what I hope are Partridge Penedesenca's. They came from the same place that Jason got his.

Like Jason, the female is a couple of weeks older.

Ron

I am suprised how curious and mellow the white emp's sem. They do not want to be picked up and want to stay some distance away from me but it was pretty funny watching them poke there heads around a tree looking at me today. Had a head poking around each side of the tree. lol

mine will come right up to u if they are free ranging or in a large pen but will run/fly away if you try to pick them up... if they are in a small pen they will go crazy any time you come around...

I am suprised how curious and mellow the white emp's sem. They do not want to be picked up and want to stay some distance away from me but it was pretty funny watching them poke there heads around a tree looking at me today. Had a head poking around each side of the tree. lol

Your White Emp's are very nice looking and I am happy to hear that they are calm.

My two Partridge Pene's seem very mellow too. They are a bit standoffish, but the little pullet likes to roost on my hand and makes very nice little coos.

The boy is a bit clumsy but what a comb for his age. Surprisingly, the Marans seemed to be much more flighty than the Pene's.

Ron

Back
Top Bottom