Calling all Penedesencas Owners/Breeders

Pics
looks good... i see good yellow legs and that is nice... rooster looks to have a pretty good comb... i think you did very well...
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif

i will never again breed any of them with white legs... i used a hen that had white legs the 1st year i got them because i did not want to cull to heavy with this rare of a breed... big mistake lol i get about 25% of my chicks with white legs now and all of my breeders have yellow legs... i am hatching every egg i get and culling very hard and ill eventually get there...
Here they are after a long summer wait.

They look good for the having taking a long ride in a box. I am glad to see them. In my original breeders I was sent some with white legs and some with poor comb, so I have been working on getting rid of white legs and working on combs. Keep the best of your offspring and I will do the same and at some point we can do some more trades to make sure we don't get inbred. Trade with others you find closer to you if you can.

The two chicks I see look like a full partridge and a partridge with wheaton mixed in. You can see the eye line on the full partridge and the lighter face of the wheaton. Partridge chicks should look like chipmunks in down and the wheatons should look solid yellow - if you see yellow with markings you have a mix of the two. I see this often, it is because the boys look very close to identical at breeding age. The professor who saved the breed told us that the wheaton will have a light spur and the partridge with have a slate spur. When a group of us met up in Georgia I bought a partridge roo and another fellow brought a wheaton roo and we looked them over head to toe to help us learn to tell them apart. That is the beautiful of meeting up at chicken shows, you learn a lot from the judges and other breeders and the opportunity to study the real thing.

Last edited:
The two chicks I see look like a full partridge and a partridge with wheaton mixed in. You can see the eye line on the full partridge and the lighter face of the wheaton. Partridge chicks should look like chipmunks in down and the wheatons should look solid yellow - if you see yellow with markings you have a mix of the two. I see this often, it is because the boys look very close to identical at breeding age. The professor who saved the breed told us that the wheaton will have a light spur and the partridge with have a slate spur. When a group of us met up in Georgia I bought a partridge roo and another fellow brought a wheaton roo and we looked them over head to toe to help us learn to tell them apart. That is the beautiful of meeting up at chicken shows, you learn a lot from the judges and other breeders and the opportunity to study the real thing.
Luann is this on the first pic or the second? I picked up the first one in the dark noticed it looked wrong and exchanged it the next day. I thought I may of grabbed a welsummer by mistake. The chip munk looking one is the one I got second. The first one is the one without the stripe

Thank you again Luann. I was hoping they would of gotten them here last night to put them right in the coop .. Luckily they are pretty mellow so I was able to pick them up tonight and put them in pretty easily. He is a big boy already the size of Curly my Icelandic rooster. Just not all the feathers yet.

Back
Top Bottom