Calling all Penedesencas Owners/Breeders

Sorry about the chickens. I got a email thanking me for signing but they found more birds with it. Though it could of been dealt with they decided to execute the whole flock. Very sad.
Thanks Hangtown Farms, I was just coming over here to thank you all for your support but yes unfortunately a few of the syndicate members decided to take a deal to execute them rather than risking continuing on with the court case and then possibly being stuck with the bill to have them humanely euthanasied. Definitely was not my decision, nor was I or a huge amount of people on the syndicate including the project coordinator given the chance to vote to save their lives, but in the end it was a decision we were stuck with and could not overturn. It just turned into one big gigantic mess in the end all because of money and politics. This strain of Salmonella was not one which was transmitted through faeces and only 3 more birds from the same lot of eggs were found to have it in amongst thousands of birds surrounding them ... In my opinion that was very treatable and I was more than willing to fight for them with all that I have :( So I guess I won't be contributing to your web page any time soon... :( May be one day, no doubt if people can't acquire new lines in a legal avenue they will just 'turn up' here one day down the track like many other breeds that have just popped up in the recent past here... Which is more of a threat to Australia's bio security than those birds that were destroyed... Oh well, life goes on hey! Again thanks a bunch for the photos and to all who took the time to sign the petition xxx

So sorry to hear of the situation. It is a shame that in hindsight the eggs, and then chicks, weren't kept in isolated groups so in case of such a problem ,then only part of the shipment would be lost. . What a loss.

Thanks Hangtown Farms, I was just coming over here to thank you all for your support but yes unfortunately a few of the syndicate members decided to take a deal to execute them rather than risking continuing on with the court case and then possibly being stuck with the bill to have them humanely euthanasied. Definitely was not my decision, nor was I or a huge amount of people on the syndicate including the project coordinator given the chance to vote to save their lives, but in the end it was a decision we were stuck with and could not overturn. It just turned into one big gigantic mess in the end all because of money and politics. This strain of Salmonella was not one which was transmitted through faeces and only 3 more birds from the same lot of eggs were found to have it in amongst thousands of birds surrounding them ... In my opinion that was very treatable and I was more than willing to fight for them with all that I have :( So I guess I won't be contributing to your web page any time soon... :( May be one day, no doubt if people can't acquire new lines in a legal avenue they will just 'turn up' here one day down the track like many other breeds that have just popped up in the recent past here... Which is more of a threat to Australia's bio security than those birds that were destroyed... Oh well, life goes on hey! Again thanks a bunch for the photos and to all who took the time to sign the petition xxx
No problem. It is such a shame as Bill mentioned they should of kept the unaffected at least the eggs and chicks

We went out of town this weekend and something went through our chain link fence and ripped open our two smaller coops. Half our flock gone. 4-5 of our penes gone in the past two weeks. Thinking it was a coyote or very big dog. Very frustrated.

Too many wild dogs around our home. A big black dog was growling at my wife this morning at 6:30, probably came back for chicken remains. Looking at the hair left behind I think a fox is also interested in our birds. This is getting very costly.

We went out of town this weekend and something went through our chain link fence and ripped open our two smaller coops. Half our flock gone. 4-5 of our penes gone in the past two weeks. Thinking it was a coyote or very big dog. Very frustrated.

Chain link fence we wrapped around our smaller coops.

Too many wild dogs around our home. A big black dog was growling at my wife this morning at 6:30, probably came back for chicken remains. Looking at the hair left behind I think a fox is also interested in our birds. This is getting very costly.
It may be time to invest in a livestock Guardian Dog. Also, electrified netting seems to help a bunch.

I am very sorry for the loss of the chickens!

candling Penedesenca egg is so weird!

I am using a high intensity Brinsea Oca view and I do not see veins, but do see chicks moving. Well I should say dark blobs moving inside the egg.

Oddly hard to see through.

Back
Top Bottom