Calling all Penedesencas Owners/Breeders

The son of my Catalonian colleague attended the Festival del gall de Vilafranca del Penedés in Catalonia last December and just sent me a few photos. So, the following photos are courtesy of Alex Guia.

Those lucky attendees!

The son of my Catalonian colleague attended the Festival del gall de Vilafranca del Penedés in Catalonia last December and just sent me a few photos. So, the following photos are courtesy of Alex Guia.

Those lucky attendees!
Sounds like a good time!

Karen, how did the hatch go?
Not a single one hatched
sad.png
The only differences that I noticed were that the humidity was higher in the beginning than it usually is. I do a dry hatch until lockdown, but we had so much humidity in the air that it was in the 30% and occasionally made it to 40% (with no water added). The other difference is that we had a few hot days in the middle of the hatch ( in the 80's & high 80's outside) which drove the temps up in the house & in the incubator ( but I never saw the incubator go above 102 - 103).
I have never tried hatching by weight before, but when I weighed the eggs on day 10 some of them were already at 12% weight loss, so I am wondering if the chicks didn't have enough room to turn around & get in position. I never saw any of these eggs wiggle & never heard any of them chirp. I left them in the bator for 4 extra days, just in case, but nothing hatched. I still need to do my egg topsies to see if that helps me figure anything out.

Not a single one hatched
sad.png
The only differences that I noticed were that the humidity was higher in the beginning than it usually is. I do a dry hatch until lockdown, but we had so much humidity in the air that it was in the 30% and occasionally made it to 40% (with no water added). The other difference is that we had a few hot days in the middle of the hatch ( in the 80's & high 80's outside) which drove the temps up in the house & in the incubator ( but I never saw the incubator go above 102 - 103).
I have never tried hatching by weight before, but when I weighed the eggs on day 10 some of them were already at 12% weight loss, so I am wondering if the chicks didn't have enough room to turn around & get in position. I never saw any of these eggs wiggle & never heard any of them chirp. I left them in the bator for 4 extra days, just in case, but nothing hatched. I still need to do my egg topsies to see if that helps me figure anything out.

I am sorry to hear that!

You never know sometimes what causes the poor hatch.

Back
Top Bottom