Calling all Penedesencas Owners/Breeders

Pics
I have 9 straight run that I picked up at my feed store... supposed to be Crele Penedescncas. Doing well at about 2 weeks of age. Looking forward to them maturing and seeing how dark the eggs are. Would enjoy chatting with others that have this unknown dark egg layer breed. Pics are always welcome.

Here are a few of the 13 Crele and Wheatons that hatched the day before Easter. Love them!

16143_april_2011_070.jpg

I ordered 5 straight run from Privitt and 4 out of 5 were Roos. My boys had very short tails and even now at 3 months old they are kinda stubby tailed. I do have a question about white legs and yellow legs ....I have 1 that has yellow legs. Is he a cross? Or can they have either?

Sorry , hopefully no one has answered this one yet , but I hatched nine Black 's about five weeks ago and I swear that they are all roo's , looking at there combs ! Is there a way of sexing them yet ? they are rather slow with the feather development .I hatched them with some RIR eggs and the reds are almost completely feathered and the blacks are just finished with there wing feathers and tail feathers ? I would like to find out if I have just Roo's , I would get another dozen eggs to see if I could get some hens ..................thanks

Crele Penedesencas are autosexers - that means that you can tell at hatch which are girls and which are boys. The girls are a warm chocolate brown with a white dot on their heads and the boys are lighter towards a brown gray and have markings on their backs as well as the dot on their heads. If you are able to pick your chicks at the local feedstore, someone may have already grabbed all the girls and only left the boys, so be careful about that. I tend to hatch more girls than boys in the spring but more boys in the heat of the summer.

Black roos are very slow at getting their tails but quick to get their comb.

I love Penedesencas - they are a robust bird, not at all prone to Mareks, great foragers. Creles are my favorite - I think they are beautiful - but they lay the lightest eggs of all the Penedesencas here at my place. The darkest eggs I get come from my black Penedesenca, then some of my White Empordanesa, then my Partridge Penedesenca, then my Wheaton Penedesenca, then my Crele Penedesencas. The young hens seem to lay their darkest eggs right when they first start laying.

Penedesenca seem to be the best for free ranging of any birds I have kept. They escape predators and that instinct to fly away quickly saves their skin many times. The boys are never aggressive, live together well if raised together, and are not hard on their hens.

If you do end up with too many roos they can make wonderful olive egg layers with a blue egg hen. They can also help to darken cuckoo marans kept just for eggs.

There is a Penedesenca club forming and we have a yahoo group called Penedesenca_USA.

Back
Top Bottom