Calling all pet bird owners!!

Dottie the Chicken

Lover of Jesus, cows, and chickens
May 8, 2020
Wisconsin
Hi, I'm Lydia!

I am hoping to get a couple of parakeets soon, and want to see pictures, pictures, and more pictures of your pet birds! Wether they be parakeets, cockatiels, conures, cockatoos, or macaws, I would love to see pictures!

If you know someone on here with pet bird(s), please tag them!

@muddy75 @KDOGG331 @CrazyCochin @anybodyelsewithapetbird!

I once had a parakeet.
These weren't my birds but I worked with these for a couple months in Central America.
Between Scarlets and Great Greens, we had about 300 macaws. It was a noisy place.
The first picture was the invalid/rehab ward.
There were long flight cages for all the unmated birds. Then cages for mated pairs.
4798220-cd165862c130980067d004ba899b5485.jpg
4798184-6b9e2c8d8d3087a3e863d5dc23920636.jpg
72519_costa_rica_2010_may_030.jpg
72519_costa_rica_2010_may_080.jpg

This was a young mated pair that laid an egg while I was there. When we wanted more, we would put 30 gallon barrels converted into nests in the cage but we wanted no new nests at the time but because these guys were young, they couldn't wait and made a nest in the dirt.
We gave them a barrel nest and they took turns sitting and feeding.
Most pairs were much older. We had a breeding pair that were 90 years old.
72519_costa_rica_2010_may_101.jpg
4798153-b04499a7f653cb0c3a8df91c48a6baf4.jpg
4798184-6b9e2c8d8d3087a3e863d5dc23920636.jpg
4798206-66f3c690a92cd4091ac6789f68d54f76.jpg

This guy had been caged next to a hyacinth macaw that bit his beak off.
Its mate had to feed it every day the rest of its life.
72519_costa_rica_2010_may_087.jpg

This is how we fed them.
We would buy fruits, vegetables and root crops that were getting close to being bad at the farmers' market to get it at a huge discount and then we would cut it up every morning for lunch and dinner after their breakfast of gallo pinto.
72519_costa_rica_2010_may_044.jpg
72519_costa_rica_2010_may_048.jpg
72519_costa_rica_2010_may_046.jpg

Last edited:
I once had a parakeet.
These weren't my birds but I worked with these for a couple months in Central America.
Between Scarlets and Great Greens, we had about 300 macaws. It was a noisy place.
There were long flight cages for all the unmated birds. Then cages for mated pairs.
View attachment 2467638View attachment 2467646View attachment 2467647View attachment 2467649

This was a young mated pair that laid an egg while I was there. When we wanted more, we would put 30 gallon barrels converted into nests in the cage but we wanted no new nests at the time but because these guys were young, they couldn't wait and made a nest in the dirt.
View attachment 2467651View attachment 2467653View attachment 2467654View attachment 2467655

View attachment 2467660

This is how we fed them.
We would buy fruits, vegetables and root crops that were getting close to being bad at the farmers' market to get it at a huge discount and then we would cut it up every morning for lunch and dinner after their breakfast of gallo pinto.
View attachment 2467657View attachment 2467658View attachment 2467659

Wow! That would be pretty noisy!

Hi, I'm Lydia!

I am hoping to get a couple of parakeets soon, and want to see pictures, pictures, and more pictures of your pet birds! Wether they be parakeets, cockatiels, conures, cockatoos, or macaws, I would love to see pictures!

If you know someone on here with pet bird(s), please tag them!

@muddy75 @KDOGG331 @CrazyCochin @anybodyelsewithapetbird!
Thank you so much for the mention!
Glad to be here!

I once had a parakeet.
View attachment 2467638View attachment 2467646View attachment 2467647View attachment 2467649

View attachment 2467651View attachment 2467653View attachment 2467654View attachment 2467655

View attachment 2467660

This is how we fed them.
View attachment 2467657View attachment 2467658View attachment 2467659
Sounds like a ton of fun!
You are very lucky! Is it a rescue?

Sounds like a ton of fun!
You are very lucky! Is it a rescue?
I was out of work and although I knew Spanish I wanted to speak better, I thought I wanted to take intensive Spanish language classes. So originally I was going to go to El Salvador to take classes because it was the cheapest classes due to the danger of being in El Salvador.
I realized I could just volunteer my time and learn Spanish at the same time.
I chose Costa Rica and opted to volunteer and chose a macaw facility over turtles, big cats and children opportunities.
I did electric, plumbing, carpentry, fiberglass, farming, bird feeding and care as part of my services.
It wasn't just a rescue although they rescued macaws from makeshift zoos, hotels, residences and injured wild birds. They also investigated places to safely return birds to the wild, especially appropriate breeding pairs. Of the non-mated birds, when a pair would form, they would mark them for return to the wild.
Approving locations for release was perhaps the most difficult part. It took years to evaluate a release site. MINAE, SINAC government agencies were heavily involved because the proposed site couldn't be a poaching threat nor would the birds released be a threat to present wildlife like monkeys, sloths or other bird species.

Last edited:
I was out of work and although I knew Spanish I wanted to speak better, I thought I wanted to take intensive Spanish language classes. So originally I was going to go to El Salvador to take classes because it was the cheapest classes due to the danger of being in El Salvador.
I realized I could just volunteer my time and learn Spanish at the same time.
I chose Costa Rica and opted to volunteer and chose a macaw facility over turtles, big cats and children opportunities.
I did electric, plumbing, carpentry, fiberglass, farming bird feeding and care as part of my services.
Wow! Amazing, it really looks like a fun facility to volunteer with!
I love hookbills!

We have lots of cockatiels. We have 2 very special inside boys and 12 adults in our aviary. One pair in the aviary currently has 6 chicks and another pair have a nest full of eggs.

These are our inside boys Lemmy and Sprout:
Lemmy.jpg Sprout.jpg

Lemmy is the sweetest bird ever and is devoted to our son. Sprout is tiny but mighty and always makes us laugh with his attitude.

Good luck with your parakeets.

Back
Top Bottom