Calling all pictures of Barnevelders

I would still call them Barnevelders.
hide.gif
. I don't think the breed standard forces the dark egg issue, unlike Marans. BUT, I would be totally honest about the egg color. I have a few hens from one line that are laying pale tan eggs. But they started out ok, but have faded like most dark egglayers overtime. They are on my cull list. I will keep a few of their pullets to see if the next generation is darker. They will be banded, so I can keep track of them. I'm keeping their offspring because the hens do have traits I like. Both hens are good sized, well marked, were the first to lay, and lay beautiful large eggs. Now I just have to get them darker. LOL

It's not a 100% on feather sexing. Also after hours and hours of staring and making notes, color sexing by head markings or breast down did not help.

The line I have from Christina Ledford (her vB line) was 100% slow feather=boy and fast feather=girl. But, I don't know if it will hold true in the next generation.

Here is an example:
Pullet chick= longer wing feathers at 10 days.

30473_barnie_female_chick.jpg

Cockerel chick= short even wing feathers at 10 days.

30473_cropped_10_day_old_chick.jpg

BUT:

On the other hand, the Julie Gabbard (Kelly Cratty) line I have was all over the place. Some pullets feathered very slow and some cockerels feathered fast. There was one cockerel that feathered so fast I would of sworn it was a girl.
hu.gif

Quote:
Here's a 3 week old with the biggest comb in the hatch... I think it's a boy. 'His' mom is pure Johan & dad is vB/KC.
He refused to give me a good profile shot. Trust me, his comb is remarkable in profile. And he looks a little scruffy in the brooder shot... they had just finished a feeding frenzy and were ready for a snooze.
39089_2010barniecomb3wksold.jpg
39089_2010barnieprofile3wks.jpg

39089_2010barniewing.jpg

He's from an egg I had washed before I decided to hatch it... it worked!

They are beautiful and oh soooo cute! I am getting my Barnevelder with a few Speckled Sussex the end of April--Yeah!!
ya.gif

Oh, and I was really hoping the grayish, darker chest down would've assured me a female--they'll be too young to try feather sexing too--darn.
barnie.gif
I guess all I can do is chant "please be a girl, please be a girl, please oh please...".
fl.gif

Ok. Got a few pics today before the SNOW started coming down. Not the best pics, but please tell me what you think, if you can tell from my grab shots.

22798_barnie_pullets.jpg

22798_whiskey_3-10.jpg

Back
Top Bottom