1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Calling all poop-fessors normal or not? (photo)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Dandelions, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Dandelions

Dandelions In the Brooder

Mar 25, 2013
    Alexander City, AL
    My favorite bantam blue cochin has gone broody :) I know broody poop is... let's say.... "mountainous." However, this poop looked funky, almost gelatin like? Is it normal?
    [​IMG]

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member 9 Years

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Looks ok to me.

3. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Crowing

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Hot weather often causes loose/watery droppings. Birds on range can get it by ingesting all sorts of things. The best thing to do is use a vitamin-electrolyte-probiotic (with acidophilus) in the water 2-3 days a week. I use either Avian Super Pack (1/4 tsp per gallon) and Probios dispersible powder (1 tsp per gallon) or I use a product called Vitamins-Electrolytes "Plus". This helps during extremes of stress/hot or cold weather.

If you see the bird inactive, pale combs, drinking excessively, then it could be anything from Coccidiosis to worms. If you see any symptoms, feel free to ask for assistance. If you've never used Corid (Amprolium) in their water, it wouldn't hurt to give a 5-7 day treatment if they don't respond to vitamin/probiotic supplementation in the water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: