Calling all Silkie people. Please help evaluate my young silkie roo? Update page 5

Lol sorry thought ment u were not convinced yours was a boy. No I still think its a little early for him to b trying to mate. Altho he crows he still chirps

By the way silkies rooster combs are very lumpy ! and you can see it clearly near the beak
big_smile.png

Didnt think he was old enough to have a comb yet the black roo in the pic was hatched the same day and it still doesnt have any comb development either. Both have combs like chicks still

It has been my experiance that at 3 months the Pullets creasts fill in, the have a completely round look, and their eyes are hard to see. Were as the cockerels have a head that like a mohawk. You can easily see their eyes, the feathering is all on the top of their heads. It is sparse along the sides, it developes at a slower rate than a pullet. No with hatchery stock, it is harder to tell, but good show breed silkies develope just like yours. Having said that, the Blue appears to be female, and of nice quality at this point, they change alot, and you'll have a better idea when she is 7 to 9 months. The black is a male, both look like nice birds. And they Will change a lot in the next few months. Looks like you have a nice start in silkies, good luck and welcome to our fluffy world!

I have a blue paint roo that is like that. Nice big crest and all he's probably 3 months as well and deffinately crowing. I'm pretty sure mines a boy though and not a hen because his legs are much bigger than the pullets bone wise which is something I find common on my roos. Now I do have one with the spike look that I think could very well be a pullet same age no crowing and less of a comb. My cockerel is starting to get that lumpy comb at age 3 months so you might pull back that fluff and see what he/she has going on with it's comb.
thumbsup.gif

Lol thank u well I hope to show her then one day. Looks like I have a hen that crows then. I have never had a hen crow b4 so thats kinda neat. On the other hand its kind of a dissapointment as well cause she is built and stands upright and chesty like all my adult silkie roos which is probaly not a good build or stance for a hen.

Some silkie hens have a small comb, it usually is round about the size of a pea. Silkies make a lot of strange noises, they are unlike Any other chickens, they chirp, purr & trill. So don't judge them compared to other birds, they are a bird all their own.

So its crest is too big to b a roo. Some of my adult hens I got last year have bigger crest in comparison to thier heads then this one. Just saying if for some reason since it crows that it was a roo would he b disqualified at the shows for having too big of a crest? Oh and btw like someone else posted it does have large feet and a bigger bone structure like a roo which is also probaly a bad thing for show with a hen.

Last edited:
Quote:
No the creat is fine, but a male with a large crest like a female is a little on the rarer size, they just don't get that big normally. But some bloodlines do have larger because the breeder has developed the line for that. You should contact the breeder and ask them about the birds.

I can tell the sex, and predict the final "look" in my birds, because I have developed them over the years. I breed for show birds, and have developed large crests in my birds. I have had people disagree with me on the sex of the bird, claiming it was female, when I tell them it is a boy. They take it home, and several months later contact me telling me it is indeed a male.

Here is a pic of a young male with a larger crest.
20866_dscn2428.jpg

Brody's Broodello :

Quote:
No the creat is fine, but a male with a large crest like a female is a little on the rarer size, they just don't get that big normally. But some bloodlines do have larger because the breeder has developed the line for that. You should contact the breeder and ask them about the birds.

I can tell the sex, and predict the final "look" in my birds, because I have developed them over the years. I breed for show birds, and have developed large crests in my birds. I have had people disagree with me on the sex of the bird, claiming it was female, when I tell them it is a boy. They take it home, and several months later contact me telling me it is indeed a male.

Here is a pic of a young male with a larger crest.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/20866_dscn2428.jpg

He is very pretty. The breeder may b a member on here. A friend of mine from IL knows her from back home so he got the eggs. He sd she is a big name in silkies In that area and shows hers alot. I know she has a website and most all her silkies have very large crest. I wanted somemore with large crest and he sd he new someone who breeds for that and all hers have big crest that why I asked him to get me some eggs​

Back
Top Bottom