calling all wild bird feeders!!

Great Pileated video and interesting picture of "Moby Hummer" - how long did the bird stay around?
Only one day :( 09/15/13, for less than 30 minutes. Shots sucked (through window). Put both cameras and tripods out, shortly afterwards, but this Ahab had no luck. Was just passing through. click for larger shot. Would have been nice to have had it under the "microscope"...

Last edited:
Once saw an 'off colored' bluebird - grayish white body and cream colored breast - striking bird. I've also seen several white starlings - they really stick out in a flock and probably become targets for hawks.

I've been trying to keep the camera handy to catch pics of the Cooper's Hawks I've been seeing. The neighbor beside us keeps lots of feeders and we have quite a large range of visitors. I really enjoy watching them even though I don't know what species some of them are...maybe someone can identify what I'm watching!

Blue Jay- we usually have 6-8 of these year round- they sure are noisy!

Not sure what this guy is...

Blue Jay & the male Cardinal

The female Cardinal...

Don't know what this guy is...

We have tons of these, they flock in large groups and are a favorite target of the hawks...

Male Cardinal

The sun shining on the deck has melted some of the snow into small 'puddles'. Just watched a flock of Juncos land on the porch and drink from these small puddles.

I've been trying to keep the camera handy to catch pics of the Cooper's Hawks I've been seeing. The neighbor beside us keeps lots of feeders and we have quite a large range of visitors. I really enjoy watching them even though I don't know what species some of them are...maybe someone can identify what I'm watching!

Blue Jay- we usually have 6-8 of these year round- they sure are noisy!

Not sure what this guy is...

Downy or Hairy woodpecker. They look the same, only difference is the size. That's probably a Downy.

Blue Jay & the male Cardinal

The female Cardinal...

Don't know what this guy is...
White breasted nuthatch. Got tons of them here.

We have tons of these, they flock in large groups and are a favorite target of the hawks...
Juncos. Lots and lots here.

Male Cardinal

We even had 3 pairs of Cardinals show up during a snowstorm on Tuesday.

I have not had any new birds in a few days at my feeder.

I did have a squirrel incident. I am having a terrible time keeping them out of the feeder.

I have not even had a blue jay in a week, but we are having unseasonably warm weather.

I miss my birds!

I have gone through less than half the feed I went through last year.

I hope summer is better.

I was wondering where all the House Finches have come from. Generally there has been only one pair at the feeders. Then I remembered the three broods that they raised in the fern baskets on my porch.

I usually have a pair of Carolina wrens that overwinter here. They sleep in my utility shed or in the pigeon loft. They are not here this year - hopefully smart enough to go South for the winter.

I was wondering where all the House Finches have come from. Generally there has been only one pair at the feeders. Then I remembered the three broods that they raised in the fern baskets on my porch.

I usually have a pair of Carolina wrens that overwinter here. They sleep in my utility shed or in the pigeon loft. They are not here this year - hopefully smart enough to go South for the winter.

I get either house finches or purple finches in the Summer but not in the winter. I have never figured out exactly how to tell them apart.

I never thought I would be happy to see a single blue jay, but I am.

It has been such a slow winter for birds, today a blue jay made a few trips to the feeder to eat peanuts. He would take one, leave and come back.

I see another one off in the trees but he is not coming to the feeder.

Otherwise, it is just a woodpecker and nuthatch day.

Several years ago I had a winter without any blue jays. I have no idea what caused that. A lot of the larger birds do not frequent the feeders through the early part of the day. Cardinals will feed heavily during a snowstorm, but generally show up to feed about a half an hour before sunset. I'm guessing they are picking times when the hawks are less likely to be hunting.

Back
Top Bottom