calling any one from missouri

Some pics of our state bird...

The babies are getting bigger by the day

F2FC9560-D015-4726-8028-2F328FD22717.jpeg

proud poppa (pretending to be a cuckoo bird 😉 )
78F614F2-4061-492D-8A3E-E1F0BA68795D.jpeg

The turkey has been growing a lot lately too... his chicken buddy got made dead by a snake in the night a month ago... so he made friends with the kittens who like to practice being sneaky on him

05651C42-6908-4FE7-AE00-B2F5959D4CFB.jpeg

5878A86D-AEB4-4DC7-94B2-C1F858C6AB15.jpeg

We found homes for 4 of them but have decided to keep these two trouble makers so that the turkey has some kids to play with 😉

F2990585-9551-4EB2-A308-0A0C5C4361C4.jpeg

South-Central Missouri

I recently inherited a house with a large outbuilding and lean-tos attached. I decided to start my hobby farm with some ducks! I’m hoping to add a few bunnies, and maybe some guineas or geese.View attachment 2274182
Hello And welcome! Glad you found the MO thread, how many ducks do you have and are they Magpie ducks?

The turkey has been growing a lot lately too... his chicken buddy got made dead by a snake in the night a month ago... so he made friends with the kittens who like to practice being sneaky on him

View attachment 2274746
View attachment 2274756

We found homes for 4 of them but have decided to keep these two trouble makers so that the turkey has some kids to play with 😉

View attachment 2274747
I was going to ask you about the turkey! It's getting big! Can you tell if it's a he or she yet?Sorry to hear the chick was killed.
The kittens still seem small.

I was going to ask you about the turkey! It's getting big! Can you tell if it's a he or she yet?Sorry to hear the chick was killed.
The kittens still seem small.

The kittens will be nine weeks tomorrow... not sure if they’re small for their age or not... but they bounce off the walls!, so they seem good and healthy... first vet visits might be this week so we’ll see what the doc says...

the turkey was nine weeks yesterday, at 3 weeks it was strutting /displaying so I thought it was a he... but then I read on BYC that sometimes female turkeys will strut at that age too... so I’m not sure... but I think within the next couple of weeks it might become clear... maybe 🙄

Our broody raised chicks are 10 weeks now, and I noticed a couple of them now have red shoulder feathers, which is pretty much a sure bet for their color variety that they are males ... one other is probably a girl, and two are jet black so I can’t tell, but I’m guessing they’re gonna be one of each... so at best I’m only going to get two new pullets this year 🙄

the turkey was nine weeks yesterday, at 3 weeks it was strutting /displaying so I thought it was a he

My neighbor had 4 turkeys, 2 toms and 2 hens... the toms were HUGE and one would walk around all day strumming and strutting. They were quite intimidating to be near. She had to get rid of the toms because one was killing chickens.

JT

My neighbor had 4 turkeys, 2 toms and 2 hens... the toms were HUGE and one would walk around all day strumming and strutting. They were quite intimidating to be near. She had to get rid of the toms because one was killing chickens.

JT

Hmmm... I hope we’re not raising a serial chicken killing turkey! 😳

Although if that happens I gotta think it’ll be due to being raised with kittens ... they’re definitely little assassins in training...

the chickens might have it coming though ... they were picking on the turkey the other day... so I took back part of the coop and made it a ‘turkey only zone’...

Although the turkey spends most of the day in the yard... or pretending to be a puppy, following me around ‘helping’ me with stuff 🙄

Hmmm... I hope we’re not raising a serial chicken killing turkey! 😳

Although if that happens I gotta think it’ll be due to being raised with kittens ... they’re definitely little assassins in training...

the chickens might have it coming though ... they were picking on the turkey the other day... so I took back part of the coop and made it a ‘turkey only zone’...

Although the turkey spends most of the day in the yard... or pretending to be a puppy, following me around ‘helping’ me with stuff 🙄
You need to join in over on Ralphies turkey thread and share some stories and pictures. They would like that!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-century-of-turkey-talk-2000-2100.966414/

Hello And welcome! Glad you found the MO thread, how many ducks do you have and are they Magpie ducks?

My two girls are Anconas. I recently picked up seven babies that were supposed to be Anconas as well, but I'm pretty sure five of them are Swedish Blacks...so not sure what my plans are since that will cause issues with cross-breeding. I also have a few Ancona eggs in the incubator 🤞

Back
Top Bottom