calling any one from missouri

A little burst of spring! I'm working hard on chicken projects today and tomorrow because this weekend we get another little burst of winter.
:hmm:hmm:hmm:hmm
And how to keep the sparrows out of the run, they are eating too much feed. It's covered w bird netting, they're squeezing in thru mesh seemingly too small. I am thinking about making a scarecrow, but they'll probably figure that out pretty quick ....

And how to keep the sparrows out of the run, they are eating too much feed. It's covered w bird netting, they're squeezing in thru mesh seemingly too small. I am thinking about making a scarecrow, but they'll probably figure that out pretty quick ...
Suddenly I realized I DO have a scarecrow...(I made this St. Francis bird feeder a couple years ago, and ironically, all the birds were afraid of it and wouldn't go anywhere near it.) Lightbulb moment. So just now I put him in the chicken run, wearing a hat, and he's tied to an eye hook on the building by his cincture.
a scarecrow.jpg

I hope it isn't sacrilegious...

Last edited:
Sue, love your scarecrow! I also took advantage of the warmer today and turned some of the deep litter in the coop, cleaned out a bit, and added more litter. I left a big pile of litter in the middle that they were busy re-arranging and fussing at me for messing with their house. It was funny. I only had about 1/2 hour before it started getting dark.

Here are the Spitzhauben kids, I set them on an old T shirt and my DH took a hundred pics before they all kind of lined up, lol...you can see each looks a little different. This breed is from the part of Switzerland where they speak German, so I'll need some good German names....View attachment 1257171

My German foreign exchange student was named Lena. Her mom's name is Kierstin. Her friend's name is Ceylan (pronounced Jay lon). I'm trying to remember her sister's name, but I can't think of it.:idunno She also has a friend in Germany named Laura, but she pronounces it differently than we do. Also, her last name is Gerkin, but they don't pronounce it like we do either. My Great Grandma's name was Wilamena ( I don't think I spelled it correctly). Those are all of the girl German names I know.

I was finishing up outdoor stuff this afternoon and felt the wind change to the north. The temps dropped fast.
On a happy note, St. Francis the scarecrow protected the chicken feed from the sparrows and there was a bunch left at the end of the day. I brought him back in the house so he can stay safe, IDK if the paint is weather proof. I think I'll create a makeshift quick and easy scarecrow by putting a shirt on a hanger with a hat on top, pants pinned to the shirt and it will blow around in the wind.

Back
Top Bottom