calling any one from missouri

Beautifull EE"s The roo is mighty handsome as well......Every time I see another pic I get even more excited to see my batch of babies! I always end up having a real soft spot for my roo's, I do not make them pets but they are such neat creatures, I love hearing crowing.

My girls all three came from green eggs, but 2 of them lay an amazing blue and the 1 lays an light egg.....I wonder since both parents are EE's if it can intensify the blue, I am trying to learn how the colored egg genes work lol I get the olive eggs but not really understand blue genes.

Here ya go.

http://scratchcradle.wordpress.com/resources/genetics-mini-series/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/714636/breeding-for-egg-color

Short and sweet version - blue eggs are dominant, incorporated in the shell itself and usually tied to the rose comb. Brown eggs comes from a coating so a blue egger crossed with a brown egger will give you a blue egg with brown coating or green/olive. Color denisity is genetic but also visually influenced by timing in the laying cycle. If I breed 2 genetic green eggers
Oo X Oo I'll get OO (Blue, Blue), Oo, Oo (Green), oo (Brown)

Happy to see our thread is coming back to life! So many people sharing and talking about their chicks is good to see!
celebrate.gif

I woke up this morning to 2 chicks hatched a day early! Lots of others pipping too. So far 2 more have hatched and several working on it.
jumpy.gif

I didn't expect any to hatch untill tomorrow so I was very delighted to see them hatching! I will post pics when all are out of them are out of the hatcher and in the brooder.

I took 12 birds to the sale in Keytesville yesterday. So now I am down to a quad of mottleds, a quad of buff columbians, a trio of columbians and a mille fluer pullet to start my mille program off. All of mine are bantam cochins.

Wonderful explanation on the how the blue egg thing works!! Thanks.

Congrats on the new peeps!! I keep being intensely tempted to get some hatching eggs as I have 3 bators setting empty and my new one has not even been tried yet!! I wish I could handle brooding more chicks but with a batch of 18 coming the 21st, I think I need to wait awhile. I think I will be so interested in watching all the EE's grow up and seeing how different they each are. I will be experiencing EE roo's for the first time and I sure hope I get some good boys, I know the pics I see of them on here, they are beautiful and all a little different. I am sure the hubby will have fun helping name the boys, He named one of our EE girls Mrs McLovin, and yes she knows her name lol, him and her have the cutest relationship, when he is home she hangs out in the garage with him, away from the rest of the chickens, and he can bang around and make all kinds of racket, but there she is not 2 feet away from him cooing and carrying on, he always puts BOSS in his pocket for her.

He had named our last rooster who was a huge black orpington, Barrett, after the 50 cal rifle....

Waiting for time to go by to pick up chicks is like being a kid and waiting for Christmas morning lol

I have EE offspring from Cackle EE's. I had a friend who had them 3 years ago and they were so amazing that I hatched some of her eggs. SHe is no longer keeping chickens or I would have just got EE eggs from her again. Cackle's BO are extremely nice girls they are weighing about 9-10lbs and do go broody, when they aren't the lay very well. I have just become so partial to the EE's I love their size and looks and most of all the personaities.
sounds good..... I wanted some last year,but we had so much going on I didn't order chicks..I totally know what you mean about Cackle's BO we have some to and they are big girls and lay great...We also have some BR and SF from Cackle too ... they are great as well....the only ones we are not totally happy with are the Welsummers and the only thing is the size of the birds everything else about them are great....they lay good and are very healthy along with the others.... I wish I knew want strain the other Wellies were,we had them years ago bought them at a swap and I don't think that gentleman who sold them is in the area anymore... oh well... we just keep working on it, be a little side project...lol
Beautiful Brahmas!!!
x2

Back
Top Bottom