calling any one from missouri

Yeah. If I don't find a new processing facility by the end of the week, I'm going to have to figure it out myself before these birds get too heavy. I've watched several YouTube videos going over the procedure, and it doesn't seem too hard (just unpleasant because I've raised the birds and grown fond of them). The processor did offer an alternative, but they're 2.5 hrs away from me, and I was hoping to find something closer.

Thanks for your suggestions- I appreciate the input :)
Yes, the processing isn’t pleasant, it’s labor intensive too. One thing to consider with doing it yourself though is that you might be kinder. I always tell them what good chickens they are & sorry it’s not a good day on the walk of doom. It’s over quick. That part anyway.

We usually raise 25 at a time, processing half at a time. Hubby built a Whizbang chicken plucker back in the beginning & highly recommends it if you process yourself.

Yes, the processing isn’t pleasant, it’s labor intensive too. One thing to consider with doing it yourself though is that you might be kinder. I always tell them what good chickens they are & sorry it’s not a good day on the walk of doom. It’s over quick. That part anyway.

We usually raise 25 at a time, processing half at a time. Hubby built a Whizbang chicken plucker back in the beginning & highly recommends it if you process yourself.

Happy to report I found a poultry processor!! Took a drive through the countryside and went to the Amish Community in Clark, Missouri, as someone on this forum suggested. :)

I'm loving this cooler weather now. Time to go out and mark the trees that died during the drought we had during the summer without getting a thousand chigger bites... first time I ve had so many die.

Hmm the harvest fest should be soon in Corning Ar. and that is a cool place to see old machinery in action. They usually have a steam tractor running a thrasher and a bunch of cool machines.

JT

Freeze expected here Sunday night....I harvested sweet potatoes, dug up some herb plants for an indoor herb pot.....I've got new radishes, lettuce, and broccoli in my garden for a winter crop.
sweet potatoes (3 of 1).jpg

I'm loving this cooler weather now. Time to go out and mark the trees that died during the drought we had during the summer without getting a thousand chigger bites... first time I ve had so many die.

Hmm the harvest fest should be soon in Corning Ar. and that is a cool place to see old machinery in action. They usually have a steam tractor running a thrasher and a bunch of cool machines.

JT

You are right JT, the cooler weather is very nice. We got lucky here this summer and always got a rain right before things started dying. The festival in Corning sounds interesting. Fair Grove, MO has a harvest festival that always had steam engines and tractors. I haven't been for quite a few years.
My Grandpa passed away yesterday at 86. RIP Papa.

You are right JT, the cooler weather is very nice. We got lucky here this summer and always got a rain right before things started dying. The festival in Corning sounds interesting. Fair Grove, MO has a harvest festival that always had steam engines and tractors. I haven't been for quite a few years.
My Grandpa passed away yesterday at 86. RIP Papa.

Sorry to hear about your Grandpa.

Looks like we missed the Fair Grove fest but we will attempt to make it next year, thanks for the tip.

I looked up the Corning Ar Harvest festival and it's the 4th Saturday of October.

JT

Sorry to hear about your Grandpa.

Looks like we missed the Fair Grove fest but we will attempt to make it next year, thanks for the tip.

I looked up the Corning Ar Harvest festival and it's the 4th Saturday of October.

JT

Thanks, JT.

Ya, the Corning festival would be a 3 hour drive for us, but you never know. Maybe the fall colors will be captivating this year.
It's been pretty rainy here. Mom had planned on going to the Fair Grove festival with my aunt, but I don't think they made it. I grew up down the road. I've been to Mount Vernon's Apple Butter Days several times, and Seymour's festival, and the Erntefest in Friestatt. I remember going to rodeos out that way when I was kid. I forget which town. I always enjoyed those.

Same here rain until Wednesday. It's a 3 hour drive for us to SW Missouri. We are going to a place near Eureka Ar for a few days of R&R at the Pointe West Motel overlooking the Beaver Lake next month. My friend said it's a nice place to go and all the rooms face the lake with a nice view.

JT

Back
Top Bottom