Calling goat experts! Need opinion!

@cassie , yes she either is or isn't pregnant, and nothing can be done, but it is important to know whether or not she is for several reasons:
Feeding - pregnant does should get alfalfa (at least near to kidding) and grain
Health - pregnant does should be dewormed and vaccinated if the owner so chooses
Housing - a dry, secure, safe, and warm place should be made ready for a kidding. Fencing should be able to keep kids from escaping.
Preparation - a kidding kit should be collected and a vet should be on speed dial
etc etc etc

@Ninjasquirrel that's a good idea. I didn't think of that.
:idunno its just what I would do if I thought I might be pregnant. But they dont sell goat urine tests at the dollar store :lol: Ultrasounds are nice but expensive. Most vets or doctors wont even perform one without a positive urine and blood result. If the test comes back positive take a picture of it with your phone so you're not charged twice. Then your vet will do a blood test to confirm and then schedule an ultrasound.

I mean wouldn't it be better to know so you can help her and her health?
I don't mean to be snippy, but what help would that be? Pregnant or not she needs good feed. I fed my growing doelings some grain whether they were pregnant of not. That said, if she is developing an udder, she is probably pregnant and at least three months along. If her belly starts expanding, the OP will know for sure. I don't see what is to be gained by dragging this goat to the vet and paying money for a procedure that won't tell you anything you won't find out without it in a very few weeks. But that's me.

@Altona I totally agree that she should know for the same type of things your saying. I prego goat has to be protected and safe.
I may be dense, but protected from what? I may have missed it, but i don't remember the OP saying anything about the goat being bullied. As I said, I may have missed it. My pregnant doelings didn't receive any special treatment. They got good feed and a dry shelter, but so did my non pregnant young stock.

I don't mean to be snippy, but what help would that be? Pregnant or not she needs good feed. I fed my growing doelings some grain whether they were pregnant of not. That said, if she is developing an udder, she is probably pregnant and at least three months along. If her belly starts expanding, the OP will know for sure. I don't see what is to be gained by dragging this goat to the vet and paying money for a procedure that won't tell you anything you won't find out without it in a very few weeks. But that's me.
It’s always good to have closure. Pregnant animals need more care than non-pregnant ones. Why? Because they are eating for more than themselves. It’s good that you feed your goats grain and good food, but sometimes people should give different animals more care. Especially ones who are way too young to be having kids.

I am no help to you because right now we have a three year old doe that is either about to give birth in the next two/four weeks or she might not even be pregnant! The place we got her from has had goats for like thirteen years and shows them ect. so she knows a lot about goats and said when we bought her that after you breed her one day you will come to a baby (if she is pregnant) because she is so hard to tell. :lau :gig But it is knida :barnie

I am no help to you because right now we have a three year old doe that is either about to give birth in the next two/four weeks or she might not even be pregnant! The place we got her from has had goats for like thirteen years and shows them ect. so she knows a lot about goats and said when we bought her that after you breed her one day you will come to a baby (if she is pregnant) because she is so hard to tell. :lau :gig But it is knida :barnie
If the doe is that far along, try standing behind her. Put your arms around her and clasp your hands together right in front of the udder. Push up sharply. You should be able to feel the kids, if any, as they come back down.

@cassie I'm just simply thinking what I would want to know for my goats. She might not have mentioned anything about bulling but it could be one chic fight away from her being head butted in the side and then boom dead baby. She needs to know so she can prepare and get the right supplies and food for her and the baby. All my goats get grain and hay. My milking mama's also get a few other kinds of foods like beet root pellets and alfalfa pellets. She might need to give her goat even more feed the usual. And then also there might be some foods she should avoid giving her goat. I just think that if she can find out it's better too.

Back
Top Bottom