Were your pullets locked in a run while you were gone, where no predators could have gotten inside? I would use some disinfectant spray to clean the wound, and apply som plain Triple Antibiotic Ointment twice a day. Look at the other side and see if the ear canal ir ripped open. This looks more like an injury on something sharp or a predator has gotten a hand through the fencing and ripped her ear.
Hi @Eggcessive

That was my first concern...I immediately walked the perimeter of the run and coop and didn't see any obvious intrusions. The very first thing my husband & I did when we put the run/coop together was to lay the entire perimeter with 1/2" hardwire that we spiked down into the ground. It is about 2 ft out from the run/coop perimeter and another 8" into the run/coop itself. I really don't know if it occurred when they were out in the run or in the coop for the night. I haven't seen or noticed any sharp edges which she might have got caught on. We do have field mice which could make entry into the run but could a mouse do this? I really don't know if they can but if they can, that could be how it happened.

Tonight when hubby gets home I will definitely be taking a closer look and hope it is a shallow tear and hasn't hurt the ear canal. Fingers crossed!

Thank you so very much...!

I would suggest if you have access use a game cam put it out there, they should have their pecking order down and should not be seeing that kind of injury, you may have a predator watching that decided nobody was around they were gonna try. if you don't mind posting a picture of your set up where this happened some one can make suggestions if they see a weakness in it for predators to abuse
Hi @slordaz
As a matter of fact, we have a scheduled appointment for this Saturday with Vivint to have camera monitors installed outside so we can see if there is any activity where their run/coop is located. I will be posting a few pictures of our run/coop so any ideas to mitigate predator intrusion would be absolutely welcomed.

Also, how will I know if I may need to cut the dead skin off? Can it become gangrene?
It will just shrivel up and turn dead, and look sort of scab like. It may fall off on it's own, or it may bunch up and heal into a bump of skin sticking out. You would only need to cut it off if the dead skin is flapping around and in danger of getting caught by a toenail or on a fence , etc. ONLY cut if it is clearly dead, dry skin. That will come later, anyway. See how things look and heal, for now. You're doing great.

So here are pictures of my run/coop. It is an integrated run/coop. Except for the nesting boxes, the entire coop resides inside of the run. I tried to get pictures of the 1/2" hardwire we put down before we put the run/coop together. If you look closely, you can see the J-hooked spikes that we drove down into the ground to hold the hardwire in place for both the inside and outside. These J-hook spikes are rebar that is bent into its shape and very significant. We drove the spikes around the entire perimeter spaced out about every 4 feet. The entire run/coop sits on top of the perimeter hardwiring. The run walls consist of a lower portion of the run with 2"x2" hardwire then about 3 feet up, it changes to 2"x4" hardwire. I also provided some pictures of the girls who were stalking me the whole time I was taking the pics and more photos of my injured NHR. IMG_3918.JPG IMG_3919.JPG IMG_3920.JPG IMG_3921.JPG IMG_3923.JPG IMG_3924.JPG IMG_3925.JPG IMG_3926.JPG IMG_3927.JPG IMG_3931.JPG IMG_3932.JPG IMG_3933.JPG IMG_3934.JPG IMG_3935.JPG

The openings in the wire won’t keep a raccoon’s hand from grabbing a chicken. That is a nice run and coop though.
Hi @Eggcessive

Yes, our property is not immune to raccoons...we haven't seen any evidence (poop, tracks, etc.) but that doesn't mean they aren't out there. I have talked with hubby about skirting the walls of the run with hardwire before so this will give me information to share with him so we can reevaluate the safety of our girls.

Thanks so much again! :)

Back
Top Bottom