Calling silkie color guru's out there. Need advice and help.

Teresaann24

Songster
11 Years
Jul 29, 2008
Eastern, Kentucky
So I bred my white pullet with one of my silkie roosters unsure of his color...Always thought black with alot of gold leakage not sure now iv been getting lavender from him.

Anyways This is her.
13823_picture_4528_modified1.jpg

and this is him.
13823_picture_1424.jpg

I collected 4 eggs from her to put in the incubator before putting her with a white rooster the all 4 chicks hatched they hatched a weird white color some looking buff some all white with little black spots on the back. All 4 chicks look different one looks like a dark lavender one looks like a light lavender one has white feathers at the tip that leaks into a gold color then into a brownish black coloring on the wings. Then there is one that looks almost splash on the wings with a hint of a carmeal color. I will try to take new pics today. Anyways what I am wondering is what color are they gonna turn out to be? I am sure no a accepted color but what can I expect?

Here is the babies...

The light lavender color one.
Picture163.jpg

Picture162.jpg

The dark lavender colored one.
Picture151.jpg

Picture152.jpg

Picture153.jpg

The one that almost looks like a splash chick
Picture154.jpg

Picture155.jpg

Picture156.jpg

Picture157.jpg

The last one this is the one that at the tip of the wings its white then leads off to a Carmel color then to a brownish black.
Picture158.jpg

Picture159.jpg

Picture161.jpg

Picture160.jpg

I am no expert, but she looks like Honey, my isabel silkie, when she was a little bitty chick. I am not sure what genetics go into creating the isabel coloring, nor do I know if it's a "recognized" color, either. I just know I really like the one I have and wouldn't mind having a few more.

5 week old chick
55743_img_0893.jpg

55743_img_0892.jpg

I have another from this pen, (isabel project from person I got the eggs from) but it doesnt have the gray feathering, just cream and small areas of buff.

She was marked like yours as a chick.

I wouldn't say lavender yet for sure. I hatched one out that looked just like that, but she turned out to be gray.

I have hatched out many gray and these babies are not gray...They look more like my lavender chicks. Not when hatched but the feathering thats coming in on them looks like my lavender babies but have a Carmel tint to them.

Back
Top Bottom